Project Manager – Underground Mining
Project Manager – Underground Mining
Chifeng Gold’s Lane Xang Minerals Limited (LXML) operates the Sepon Gold and Copper Operation, located in Vilabouly District, Savannakhet Province, Lao PDR. Since the commencement of operations in 2003, Sepon has produced almost one million tonnes of Copper and over 1.2 million ounces of Gold, and produced over 72,000 tonnes of copper in 2019.
Chifeng LXML is now positioning itself for future growth. With the re-commencement of gold production at Sepon in 2020, and with a number of other feasibility studies, a ramp up in exploration and with M&A activity underway, the future for Chifeng LXML and the Sepon operation is unlimited in potential and opportunity.
The future production plan includes gold from underground mining. The underground gold resource was increased substantially in 2019, and underground mining passed a proof of concept study with significant upside potential. The underground mine now needs to be progressed through a study phase to allow detailed design and planning to be completed for commencing underground mine development as early as possible.
Chifeng LXML are looking for a Project Manager – Underground Mining to lead the study work, produce the project development plans, and manage the construction and development of the underground mine and associated infrastructure.
Reporting to the General Manager, this role will be accountable for the entire life cycle of the underground mine project, taking it from current concept study through to a producing mine, and in doing so develop Laos’ first modern underground mine.
• Lead and manage the overall underground mining study work, including all associated technical, financial, and ESIA related studies and evaluations
• Develop and maintain project scope documents, schedules, and budgets, and hold team accountable for delivering on approved project deliverables and milestones
• Establish project controls, monitor progress against schedules and budgets, and produce regular progress reports to senior management
• Engage and coordinate specialist consultants and contractors to support the associated technical, financial, and ESIA related studies and evaluations
• Produce all the detailed designs, scopes of work, schedules, budgets and project execution plans required to support the construction and development of the underground mine and associated infrastructure
• Lead and manage the construction and development of the underground mine and associated infrastructure
Required Qualifications and Experience
• At least 15 to 20 years’ experience in the Mining Industry, with demonstrated experience in underground mine feasibility studies, and underground mine project development
• Previous experience in a Mine Management role (Mine Manager, Project Manager, Operations Manager)
• Strong technical background with tertiary qualifications in Mining Engineering or related discipline.
• Previous experience working in an expatriate role – preferably in South East Asia
• Previous exposure to the challenges of operating in remote sites and in developing countries
• Demonstrated experience in managing a multi-disciplinary team of consultants and contractors from various geographical locations
• A high level of conceptual and analytical skills, with the ability to identify and implement strategies and improvements
• A strong personal commitment to the implementation of proper safety, environmental and other policies and procedures, with the ability to foster a strong safety culture among all employees
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to build relationships with all levels of the business, both internally and externally
• Ability to work independently with minimal direction
• Ability to speak both English and Mandarin will be an advantage
This expatriate assignment is a 2 year contract residentially based in the Lao capital city of Vientiane on a 5/2, 4/3 roster to site. Alternatively, a longer FIFO roster from your home country can be agreed for the right candidate. An attractive expatriate package is on offer, commensurate with your experience and the market rates. For residential assignments, additional benefits, including full relocation and repatriation assistance are provided.
To join the next generations' global mining company, please submit your application online in either Word (.doc) or Adobe (.pdf) format online to Recruitment@LXML.LA. All applications will close 10 March 2020.