Senior Mining Engineer – Underground Mining
Senior Mining Engineer – Underground Mining
Chifeng Gold’s Lane Xang Minerals Limited (LXML) operates the Sepon Gold and Copper Operation, located in Vilabouly District, Savannakhet Province, Lao PDR. Since the commencement of operations in 2003, Sepon has produced almost one million tonnes of Copper and over 1.2 million ounces of Gold, and produced over 72,000 tonnes of copper in 2019.
Chifeng LXML is now positioning itself for future growth. With the re-commencement of gold production at Sepon in 2020, and with a number of other feasibility studies, a ramp up in exploration and with M&A activity underway, the future for Chifeng LXML and the Sepon operation is unlimited in potential and opportunity.
The future production plan includes gold from underground mining. The underground gold resource was increased substantially in 2019, and underground mining passed a proof of concept study with significant upside potential. The underground mine now needs to be progressed through a study phase to allow detailed design and planning to be completed for commencing underground mine development as early as possible.
Chifeng LXML are looking for a Senior Mining Engineer – Underground Mining to support the Project Manager with managing and delivering all the required engineering designs, mine plans and schedules, and the project development plans required for the construction and development of the underground mine and associated infrastructure.
Reporting to the Project Manager – Underground Mining, you will draw on your extensive underground mining experience and strong technical background to undertake all the works necessary to support the project progressing from concept study through to a producing mine, and in doing so develop Laos’ first modern underground mine.
• Support the Project Manager in coordinating the overall underground mining study work, including all associated technical, financial, and ESIA related studies and evaluations
• Maintain project schedules and budgets and report progress against project deliverables and milestones
• Coordinate and assist specialist consultants and contractors to complete technical, financial, and ESIA related studies and evaluations
• Provide input and conduct detailed reviews of mine method and design options, mine equipment and infrastructure options, and potential operating strategies
• Provide input and conduct detailed reviews of final designs, scopes of work, schedules, budgets and project execution plans required to support the construction and development of the underground mine and associated infrastructure
• Provide engineering and project management support for the construction and development of the underground mine and associated infrastructure.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• At least 10 years’ experience in the Mining Industry, with demonstrated experience in underground mine feasibility studies, and underground mine project development
• Previous experience in a senior mining engineer role (Senior/Principal Mining Engineer, Senior Project Engineer, Mine Engineering Consultant)
• Strong technical background with tertiary qualifications in Mining Engineering or related discipline.
• Knowledge and experience in underground mine planning software (Deswik, Vulcan, etc…)
• Previous exposure to the challenges of operating in remote sites and in developing countries
• A high level of conceptual and analytical skills, with the ability to identify and implement strategies and improvements
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to build relationships with all levels of the business, both internally and externally
• Ability to work independently with minimal direction
• Ability to speak both English and Mandarin will be an advantage
This expatriate assignment is a 2 year contract residentially based in the Lao capital city of Vientiane on a 5/2, 4/3 roster to site. Alternatively, a longer FIFO roster from your home country can be agreed for the right candidate. An attractive expatriate package is on offer, commensurate with your experience and the market rates. For residential assignments, additional benefits, including full relocation and repatriation assistance are provided.
To join the next generations' global mining company, please submit your application online in either Word (.doc) or Adobe (.pdf) format online to Recruitment@LXML.LA. All applications will close 10 March 2020.