Company: Gibraltar Mines Limited
Location: McLeese Lake, BC
Reporting Relationship: Senior Metallurgist, Tailings
Company Background and Culture
Taseko Mines is a dynamic international mining company, headquartered in Vancouver. Our strategy is to grow our company through developing our pipeline of high-quality advanced stage projects.
Taseko owns (75%) and operates the state-of-the-art Gibraltar Mine in central British Columbia. Gibraltar is the second largest open pit copper mine in Canada and has a 700-person workforce. Gibraltar has a long mine life and produces an average of 140 million pounds of copper and 2.5 million pounds of molybdenum per year.
The company has recently completed construction of a US$25 million demonstration plant at its Florence Copper Project in Arizona. Florence Copper is a unique in-situ copper recovery project which, when in production, will significantly increase Taseko’s copper production. Engineering, design and permitting activities are underway in preparation for the 25-year commercial production phase of the project.
With the recent acquisition of Yellowhead Mining, Taseko has added a large, long-life copper project to its development portfolio. The deposit located 150km north of Kamloops, BC, is similar to the Gibraltar Mine deposit and the company is preparing to take the steps necessary to advance the technical and permitting work required to move the project towards production.
In addition to the activities underway at Florence Copper and Yellowhead, Taseko continues engineering, permitting and environmental assessment related activities at its Aley niobium project in north central BC. For more information on Taseko visit our website at https://www.tasekomines.com.
- Collect and maintain tailings data and produce regular reports.
- Conducting field quality control tests for geotechnical materials as part of dam construction.
- Track tailings costs and parts inventory.
- Track and report deposition vs plan and design.
- Assist with water management and water balance.
- Provide operational support and targets to tailings operators as needed.
- Surveying and GPS field work, using RTK equipment and drone photogrammetry.
- Provide project management coverage as needed.
- Carry out drilling and test pit programs.
- Carry out pipe thickness monitoring programs.
- Able to work alone in an outdoor setting and in adverse weather conditions.
Professional Experience / Qualifications
- 2 to 3 years of experience related to tailings or similar position.
- Enrolled as EIT with EGBC
- Experience with GPS/survey applications is considered an asset.
- Ability to problem solve, communicate effectively and manage time.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Good knowledge of all MS office applications with the ability to perform basic programming in Excel.
- Familiar with Minesight 3D modeling software or GIS software would be considered an asset.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Engineering degree in a Civil, Geotechnical, or Mining related field, and enrolled (or eligible) as an EIT with EGBC.
At Taseko, we pride ourselves in offering a challenging and rewarding work environment. Our employees have the opportunity for career and professional growth through development, education, and succession plan programs.
In addition, our compensation benefit package includes competitive salaries and vacation packages, Health and Insurance benefit program, and Retirement Savings Plan.