Loss Prevention Officer (Casual)
Company Gibraltar Mines Limited
Location: Human Resources and Loss Prevention Department
Reporting Relationship Coordinator, Loss Prevention
Company Background and Culture
Taseko Mines is a dynamic international mining company, headquartered in Vancouver. Our strategy is to grow our company through developing our pipeline of high-quality advanced stage projects.
Taseko owns (75%) and operates the state-of-the-art Gibraltar Mine in central British Columbia. Gibraltar is the second largest open pit copper mine in Canada and has a 700 person workforce. Gibraltar has a long mine life and produces an average of 140 million pounds of copper and 2.5 million pounds of molybdenum per year.
The company has recently completed construction of a US$25 million demonstration plant at its Florence Copper Project in Arizona. Florence Copper is a unique in-situ copper recovery project which, when in production, will significantly increase Taseko’s copper production. Engineering, design and permitting activities are underway in preparation for the 25-year commercial production phase of the project.
With the recent acquisition of Yellowhead Mining, Taseko has added a large, long-life copper project to its development portfolio. The deposit, located 150km north of Kamloops, BC, is similar to the Gibraltar Mine deposit and the company is preparing to take the steps necessary to advance the technical and permitting work required to move the project towards production.
In addition to the activities underway at Florence Copper and Yellowhead, Taseko continues engineering, permitting and environmental assessment related activities at its Aley niobium project in north central BC. For more information on Taseko visit our website at https://www.tasekomines.com.
- Assists Coordinator with medical surveillance program.
- Facilitates drug and alcohol testing.
- Provides Level 3 First Aid to all employees, contractors, and visitors at the mine.
- Assists with the site wide planned general inspection program.
- Performs regular inspections of fire alarms, fire extinguishers and sprinkler systems.
- Conducts workplace monitoring sampling as directed by the Loss Prevention Coordinator.
- Assists with incident investigations, reports, and tracking of incident reports.
- Maintains an inventory of standard and specialized personal protective equipment at the Security Desk.
- Monitor, control and record all incoming and exiting visitors, contractors, and suppliers.
- Facilitates the site orientation for suppliers and visitors.
- Participates and attends practices as a member of the Mine Rescue / Emergency Response Teams.
Professional Experience / Qualifications
- A valid Class 5 driver's license.
- Basic knowledge of fire protection systems, fire extinguishers and sprinkler systems.
- Strong computer skills with sound knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work shift work in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Accomplished written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Experience in mine rescue would be considered an asset.
OFA Level III First Aid or equivalent.
At Taseko, we pride ourselves in offering a challenging and rewarding work environment. Our employees have the opportunity for career and professional growth through development, education, and succession plan programs.
Please note the Casual LPO position is exempt from Gibraltar’s Health and Insurance benefit program, Retirement Savings Plan and relocation assistance. The successful applicant will instead receive $2.50 per hour worked in lieu of benefits.