Manager, Health, Safety, Environment & Community Exploration
SSR Mining Inc. is a leading, free cash flow focused intermediate gold company with four producing assets located in the USA, Turkey, Canada, and Argentina, combined with a global pipeline of high-quality development and exploration assets in the USA, Turkey, Mexico, Peru, and Canada. In 2019, the Company's four operating assets produced over 720,000 ounces of gold and 7.7 million ounces of silver.
This position supports the SSRM VP of Exploration in the development and implementation of a safety, health, environment and community strategic plan aimed at achieving SSR Mining's vision of ‘Zero Harm'. Overall responsibility for field support of exploration safety, health, environment and community management. This role supports SSRM's global exploration projects and sites and provides information and recommendations that promote the effective identification of hazards and management of associated risks.
- Direct report to the VP, Exploration. Indirect report to the VP, Health & Safety and VP of Resource Development, but also provide support to exploration project managers, site-based GMs and other HSEC professionals in SSRM.
- Supports and facilitates the implementation of the SSRM safety and health strategic plan.
- Supports development and implementation of corporate and site safety, health, environment and community management system (HSEC), processes, and procedures;
- Supports/facilitates risk assessments through common risk assessment techniques, e.g., bow tie analysis, HAZOP, job safety analysis, field level risk assessment, etc.;
- Performs analysis on health, safety, risk and environmental management data and supports information management through SSRM's relational database, Isometrix;
- Ensures exploration projects are properly planned, budgeted and managed relative to HSEC requirements and risk.
- Ensures compliance with safety, health and environmental legislation, regulations and.
- Develops and conducts exploration-specific training and educational programs;
- Conducts HSEC management system audits and assessments;
- Provides on-site HSEC management support at near-field and greenfield exploration site activities at SSRM mines and projects;
- Provides incident investigation and root cause analysis support including completion of related incident reports;
- Able to develop corrective actions, and provide consulting to address complex company problems/issues that lack precedent and require advanced technical skills and knowledge to resolve;
- Develops various HSEC-related reports and ensures appropriate distribution and feedback.
- Represent SSRM on national or international professional or trade organizations associated with exploration.
- Sound knowledge of contemporary mineral exploration processes, methods, practices and risks;
- Ability to conduct detailed analysis using database and raw HSEC data sources;
- Ability to build effective relationships across all levels of the company and stakeholder communities;
- Able to work effectively as both an individual or as part of a team;
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills;
- Exercise cross-cultural sensitivity based on the different global jurisdictions in which SSRM operates;
- Ability to work with various databases (Excel), word processing (Word), Visio, relational databases;
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to a culture that values and manages to safety excellence;
- A personal commitment to behavior consistent with SSRM's values.
- Five to ten years of relevant HSEC experience including mine, division and/or corporate assignments with significant, demonstrated exploration experience.
- Masters degree in safety, health or environmental management, risk management, mining engineering, geology, or related discipline;
- Knowledge of fixed wing planes and helicopter use and management as it relates to mineral exploration;
- Competent verbal and written English skills. Beneficial to have verbal Latin Spanish skills;
- Work history that includes experience with a multinational mining company.
- Bachelor's degree in Safety, Health, Environmental, Geology, Mining Engineering or related field, or equivalent relevant work experience;
- Ability to travel up to 50% based on the number and location of exploration sites and ongoing priorities, including international travel.
- Ability to work at altitude (e.g., 4,000 m+). Fitness-for-altitude requires medical verification;
- Ability to physically operate in a field exploration environment;
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with site and corporate personnel;
- Able to work independently, facilitate teams and function under a flexible work schedule when required;
- Excellent verbal and report writing skills.
Job Location & Legal Qualifications:
- Position is located is located in Denver, Colorado.
- This role is being offered as a full-time position. All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
Denver, Colorado, United States