Senior Geotechnical Engineer
You will be placed in a senior role within the Rock Mechanics team and be responsible for providing leadership, mentoring, and training to the Rock Mechanics team members. Your technical role will consist of evaluating long term mine designs, short term mine plans, providing recommendations for optimal mine sequencing, stability analysis, and incident investigations. You will be required to provide guidance on ground support requirements using rock mechanics principles, theories, and ground control techniques to ensure the stability of underground workings, while maximizing safety and optimizing production targets.
• Roster: 4 on / 3 off – 10.5 hour shifts
• We offer competitive salaries, bonus structures, and future growth
• Location: Red Lake, Ontario Canada
At Evolution, we’re passionate about Our Culture and Values. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity, offering exceptional career environments at our Sites and our Group Office, that are challenging, rewarding and fun for all employees. We are regularly supporting our employees’ work-life integration and provide a stimulating and inclusive environment to foster development.
Evolution Mining is a leading, growth-focused globally relevant gold company. We were created in late 2011 and operate five wholly owned mines across Australia and Ontario, Canada. In addition, we hold an economic interest in the Ernest Henry copper-gold mine in Queensland. We are committed to supporting the communities in which we operate, with local applicants encouraged to apply.
About the Role
This role offers an exceptional opportunity to support the day-to-day needs of the technical services team and underground operation.
- In this role you will provide strength to the Rock Mechanics team by sharing your knowledge, developing others, and working on technical problems.
- You will be responsible for looking after an area of the mine which has geotechnical challenges associated with high stresses/ seismicity and structurally controlled instability. The Red Lake Operation is a great place for a person who is seeking a challenge and looking to expand on their underground geotechnical experience.
- This position offers a great deal of diverse geotechnical challenges such as deep and high stress mining, sill pillar recovery, managing active geological structures, hard and soft rock mining challenges, various mining methods and historical challenges such as crown pillars.
- The operation is currently focusing on optimizing the development mining cycle and this role offers the opportunity to provide the operation with new ideas for ground support installation methods and ground support systems.
About Our Operation
Our Red Lake Operation is located in an area where you will experience the best in Northern lifestyle, in the heart of a lake-studded, boreal forest region in Sunset Country. Red Lake is known for its natural beauty, abundant wildlife, and incredible Canadian fishing in the many freshwater lakes in the area. The Red Lake district is located 180 kilometers north of Dryden about 100 kilometers from the Manitoba border in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. It spans 42,000 hectares and has produced over 29 million ounces of gold since 1949. Our Red Lake Operation includes the Red Lake and Campbell underground mining and processing complexes, and Cochenour, a potential new source of ore. As Evolution’s newest asset and our first in North America, we are excited by the opportunities here.
Safety is Our Priority
The safety, health and wellbeing of our people and the communities in which we operate are of paramount importance to us. We believe that every injury is preventable, and we are committed to providing a healthy and safe workplace and empowering our people to stop any unsafe behaviour, enabling everyone to work together towards an injury free workplace.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who has strong leadership skills, is a good communicator, has a positive can do attitude, enjoys sharing their knowledge and strengthening others.
Formal Education and Work Experience Requirements
- Possess a Bachelor of Applied Science/Engineering Degree in Mining or Geological/Geotechnical Engineering with a minimum 10 years experience in a geotechnical engineering role. Must be eligible for Professional Engineer status within the Province of Ontario.
Technical Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of and ability to apply rock mechanic principles
- Proficient with stress modelling (Map3D) and analysis of mine sequences
- Able to identify ground stability problems and perform analysis using RocScience software (such as Dips and Unwedge)
- Proficient in use of mine drafting and planning software (AutoCAD, Deswik, etc.)
- Skilled in collecting and analyzing geotechnical data, can easily identify and address stability concerns
- Familiar with various ground support systems, installation methods and their application
- Knowledge of seismicity and seismic systems as it relates to mining
- Experience with mine paste backfill and backfill systems
- Project Management experience
Closing date: March 8, 2021
We thank you for taking the time to submit your application. For more information, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
External candidates can apply online by visiting https://careers.evolutionmining.com.au
Internal candidates must apply through ERROLL under internal vacancies.
We want your perspective and ideas to help us find better ways to build our team. You can be part of a committed, highly skilled team who will appreciate what you bring to the table. You will set and achieve goals and make decisions that matter, as together we help shape and contribute to the Evolution vision. As an equal opportunity employer, Evolution is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.