SRK Consulting (UK) Ltd is an independent, international consulting practice that provides globally integrated consulting services to the mining and natural resources sector.
We are seeking a Consultant to Senior Level Geochemist to join our expanding Geochemistry team in the UK Practice. Due to the current COVID pandemic, the position is initially being offered with a one-year temporary contract to meet project demands with a view to being made permanent.
This position focuses on the geochemical assessment and numerical predictions associated with mine waste characterisation within larger studies (from Pre-Feasibility to closure). This position will involve working on a range of international projects from our UK practice. Overseas/ international travel is an integral part of the role, albeit currently subject to COVID restrictions.
The successful candidate will have previous consultancy experience and previous exposure to the mining sector is preferable.
Experience/Skills to include:
- A degree or equivalent in Geochemistry or Engineering, preferably (but not essential) with a higher degree (MSc or Ph.D) or equivalent in geochemistry, applied or environmental geology or environmental chemistry or chemical engineering.
- Advanced knowledge and experience of numerical predictive calculations and modelling codes, for example PHREEQC, MINTEQ, GoldSim, GEMS or Geochemist’s Workbench.
- Experience of undertaking environmental or geochemical monitoring and/or characterisation studies for a variety of natural resource commodities.
- Experience in the analysis of large geochemical datasets, including quality control, data interpretation and reporting.
- Innovative and clear thinking, ability to work with complex problems and present ideas and data to colleagues and clients to find specific bespoke solutions.
- Excellent attention to detail and critical analysis skills.
- Competent user of MS Office software.
- Ability to present work and key ideas to clients, regulators and key stake holders in both technical and non-technical forums.
- Excellent report and proposal writing skills. Strong English language skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to be proactive and work under pressure, either independently or as part of a team.
- Previous mining related consulting experience and experience in a variety of commodities and mining methods will be highly regarded.
- Professional registration or working towards such, with appropriate institutions.
- A good understanding and application of health and safety in the laboratory, field and workplace
- Right to work in the UK
Technical Responsibilities overview:
The primary role is to act as a Geochemist, providing competent consulting services to support SRK projects and clients as follows:
- Providing Geochemistry services to ensure successful delivery of projects.
- Assisting with the Geochemistry aspects of multi-disciplinary project development studies.
- Representing SRK professionally to SRK’s clients.
The work involved in undertaking this role may include the following activities, as well as other responsibilities as required:
- Geochemical assessment and numerical predictions associated with mine waste characterisation
- Mine impact evaluation.
- Risk assessment on mine waste and/or mine water treatment
- Geochemistry input to feasibility studies, closure studies, prefeasibility studies and scoping studies, including.
- Proposal preparation
- Data collection, analysis and QA-QC.
- Report writing.
- Client liaison; and
- Assisting with project management
In return we offer:
- A range of excellent benefits, to include: Pension Scheme, Death in Service Benefits, Health Insurance Cover, and Private Medical Health Care Scheme
- An attractive salary package
- Diversity of projects and clients within a non-hierarchical consultancy environment
- Opportunity to purchase shares in the company; the SRK Group is an independent group, owned by its employees
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 09.00-17.30(1/2-hour lunch break) 40 hours per week
Holidays: 29 working days per annum inclusive of bank and public holidays. Leave increases with length of service.
Associated Benefits Following Successful Completion of Probationary Period:
- Death in Service Benefit
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Discretionary Bonus (subject to company profitability)
- Private Health Cover (voluntary)
- Health Screening (voluntary)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional Subscription – SRK will pay the subscription to one professional membership
Location: UK office based in central Cardiff. Employees may be required to work at other locations and overseas travel will form part of the role. Due to current travel restrictions the successful candidate can work remotely from their home location.
SRK will assist with reasonable relocation and removal expenses for transport of personal effects and flights to Cardiff if required.
SRK will also cover the costs of rented accommodation for up to 4 weeks on arrival if required
SRK Consulting (UK) Ltd is the European arm of the SRK Consulting Group and currently has over 110 employees with a diverse range of backgrounds. SRK is employee owned and employs around 1,400 professional consultants internationally with 45 offices on 6 continents. SRK has been providing its clients with innovative, practical and cost-effective solutions for 40 years and our client base covers a wide range of industries, particularly within the resources and engineering sectors.
For further information please refer to our website here
Applicants should respond by submitting their CV online by clicking the button below by March 2021. The candidates under consideration will be contacted directly.
Please submit your detailed CV in the strictest of confidence