Myra Falls mine, situated in Strathcona Provincial Park, 90kms southwest of Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, has been operational since 1965 and employs 450 employees and contractors. The mine has a lifespan of over ten years. It is ramping up production to over 800,000 metric tonnes of zinc, lead and copper ore per annum, key commodities in the transition to a lower-carbon economy.
The Myra Falls mining operation was previously owned by leading global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar. Following the company’s financial restructuring in 2019, Trafigura became a majority shareholder, and the mine is now part of the Trafigura Mining Group portfolio. Trafigura Mining Group’s assets extend across Europe, Africa, North America and Latin America, ranging from wholly-owned facilities to joint ventures and minority investments.
Trafigura is a leading provider of the key commodities that power and develop our world, with international operations comprising 8,619 employees in 88 offices across 48 countries. For almost three decades, Trafigura has been connecting its customers to the global economy, growing prosperity by advancing trade. Trafigura sources, stores, blends and delivers a range of raw materials, including oil and refined products and metals and minerals to customers around the world and has recently established a Power and Renewables Trading division
The trading business is supported by industrial investments and assets, including majority ownership of global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar; a significant shareholding in global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura Mining Group; and Galena Asset Management.
Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, increasing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD147 billion in 2020.
We are looking for an Environmental Technician to join our Environmental team. Reporting to the Environmental Advisor, the Environmental Sampler conducts regular monitoring of environmental facilities, effluents and the receiving environment. This responsibility includes the operation and maintenance of the environmental laboratory, including data management and sample analyses work. This work requires a significant degree of interaction with various operating departments.
- Conducts all monitoring required by permits and environmental legislation.
- Review and approve invoices from outside labs or consultants.
- Ensure work is carried out with the upmost safety standards.
- Conduct all monitoring required by permits and environmental legislation
- Implement all water quality monitoring programs using best practices
- Maintain monitoring equipment in good working order
- Maintain onsite laboratory and field equipment inventory
- Prepare samples for analyses by outside laboratories
- Maintain records of all monitoring and data analyses
- Maintain water quality database
- Conduct regular site and environmental infrastructure inspections (TDF, Ponds, Spit, spill kits, etc.)
- Install, monitor, and maintain various environmental monitoring instrumentation such as dataloggers
- Conduct surveys of surface infrastructure
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of the environmental laboratory including ordering of supplies and equipment in accordance with approved budgets
- Attend to environmental emergencies (spill responses, sediment & erosion control) as required
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of permits and environmental policies
- Knowledge of environmental databases.
- Knowledge of hydrology and best practice sampling procedures.
- Knowledge of field work, use and maintenance of equipment and safety procedures
- Basic Surface Survey Skills
- Data analysis, entry and management
- Interpersonal and written communications
- Attention to detail, self-motivated, work with minimum supervision
- Adaptive to changing environment and demands
- Safe boating procedures
- Environmental Technician Certificate or equivalent certification
- 1 Year work experience in environmental monitoring or related field
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC)
- Lift loads over 20 KG
- Must have valid Class 5 Driver’s licence
- Work in environmental extremes for over 60 consecutive minutes
- Sit for over 60 consecutive minutes
- Stand for over 60 consecutive minutes with little or no walking
- Regularly engage in physical exertion
- Stay alert during periods of inactivity for more than 60 minutes
- Concentrate for over 60 consecutive minutes
- Listen for quiet sounds
- Hear specific noises over background noises
- Frequently use peripheral vision
- Use fine motor skills
- Work in an office setting – 40%
- Work in a shop/plant setting – 15%
- Work outdoors – 45%
- Be exposed to dangerous physical hazards
- Be exposed to fire, smoke, fumes, odors or chemicals
- Work overtime
We offer a comprehensive compensation package.
If you are interested in joining our team, please e-mail your resume to Myrafalls.email@example.com citing “Environmental Technician” in the subject line.
Trafigura is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If accommodations are required, please notify us upon scheduling an interview. Thank you for your interest in Trafigura Myra Falls Operations.
Apply for Environmental Technician
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly