Myra Falls mine, situated in Strathcona Provincial Park, 90kms southwest of Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, has been operational since 1965 and employs 450 employees and contractors. The mine has a lifespan of over ten years. It is ramping up production to over 800,000 metric tonnes of zinc, lead and copper ore per annum, key commodities in the transition to a lower-carbon economy.
The Myra Falls mining operation was previously owned by leading global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar. Following the company’s financial restructuring in 2019, Trafigura became a majority shareholder, and the mine is now part of the Trafigura Mining Group portfolio. Trafigura Mining Group’s assets extend across Europe, Africa, North America and Latin America, ranging from wholly-owned facilities to joint ventures and minority investments.
Trafigura is a leading provider of the key commodities that power and develop our world, with international operations comprising 8,619 employees in 88 offices across 48 countries. For almost three decades, Trafigura has been connecting its customers to the global economy, growing prosperity by advancing trade. Trafigura sources, stores, blends and delivers a range of raw materials, including oil and refined products and metals and minerals to customers around the world and has recently established a Power and Renewables Trading division.
The trading business is supported by industrial investments and assets, including majority ownership of global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar; a significant shareholding in global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura Mining Group; and Galena Asset Management.
Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, increasing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD147 billion in 2020.
We are looking for a Ventilation Engineer to join our Engineering team. Reporting to the Technical Services Manager, your primary responsibility is ensuring the ventilation meets the requirements of the Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in British Columbia and the needs of the Project. You will also provide support to the Operational team for best practice and auditing.
- Develop and manage an ongoing Mine Ventilation monitoring program to ensure that operations and contractors are working to the required standards for ventilation and occupational exposure under the Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in British Columbia
- Establish mine ventilation standards and plan and carry out compliance audits against such standards.
- Prepare monitoring reports on conditions encountered and deviations from norms and standards.
- Provide technical input into the design of the mine ventilation and cooling systems for development and operations.
- Participate in engineering reviews of ventilation systems prior to construction, liaising with mine planning engineers and ventilation consultants to develop the mine ventilation network.
- Work with occupational health practitioners to develop employee occupational health management plans for noise, dust and heat conditions in the developing mine.
- Build ventilation into the mine plan, working closely with the Operational Readiness team.
- To provide daily field guidance and support Mine Operations (Mine Captains/UG Shift Bosses).
- To collaborate with UG Mine Planners, Geotechnical Engineer, Drill and Blast Engineer and Backfill Engineer to develop production sequence and preparation of the weekly production plan and three months forecast.
- Manage inventory of fans for installation and manage vendor representative to ensure products are on site when required.
- Complete Weekly/Monthly reporting requirements in a timely and reliable manner, including SAP reconciliation/reservations and monthly accruals.
- Provide input for budgeting purposes.
- Maintain a roster of all the diesel mining equipment and their ventilation specification requirements.
- Prepare cost analysis of the ventilation systems to feed into operational reports.
- Complete other activities that are not necessarily ventilation related to support the general mine operations.
- BSc. Degree in Mining Engineering or equivalent combination of seasoned technical knowledge and experience combined with a minimum of five (5) years of experience at an underground mine.
- Advanced computer skills (ie. AutoCAD, Deswik, Ventsim, Microsoft Office etc.)
- Exceptional planning, organizational, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- Ability to liaise effectively with management teams and deal with complex problems.
- Strong knowledge of Federal and Provincial mining & safety legislation and regulations.
- Additional Information:
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening.
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift.
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions.
- Able to work in close quarters with the team
We offer a comprehensive compensation package.
If you are interested in joining our team, please e-mail your resume to Myrafalls.firstname.lastname@example.org citing “Ventilation Engineer” in the subject line.
Trafigura is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If accommodations are required, please notify us upon scheduling an interview. Thank you for your interest in Trafigura Myra Falls Operations.
Apply for Ventilation Engineer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly