Myra Falls mine, situated in Strathcona Provincial Park, 90kms southwest of Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, has been operational since 1965 and employs 450 employees and contractors. The mine has a lifespan of over ten years. It is ramping up production to over 800,000 metric tonnes of zinc, lead and copper ore per annum, key commodities in the transition to a lower-carbon economy.
The Myra Falls mining operation was previously owned by leading global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar. Following the company’s financial restructuring in 2019, Trafigura became a majority shareholder, and the mine is now part of the Trafigura Mining Group portfolio. Trafigura Mining Group’s assets extend across Europe, Africa, North America and Latin America, ranging from wholly-owned facilities to joint ventures and minority investments.
Trafigura is a leading provider of the key commodities that power and develop our world, with international operations comprising 8,619 employees in 88 offices across 48 countries. For almost three decades, Trafigura has been connecting its customers to the global economy, growing prosperity by advancing trade. Trafigura sources, stores, blends and delivers a range of raw materials, including oil and refined products and metals and minerals to customers around the world and has recently established a Power and Renewables Trading division.
The trading business is supported by industrial investments and assets, including majority ownership of global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar; a significant shareholding in global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura Mining Group; and Galena Asset Management.
Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, increasing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD147 billion in 2020.
We are looking for a Electrical Engineer to join our engineering team. Reporting to the Reliability Superintendent, this position is located at our Myra Falls mine site. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this opportunity is for you
- Providing project engineering and electrical discipline leadership
- Performing engineering design and related duties; including, power system studies, equipment specifications and selection, management of vendor / equipment suppliers, power distribution layouts, grounding, LV and MV motor sizing and selection, cable distribution design, schematic, single line, termination schedule and wiring design
- Assisting with construction supervision as well as the commissioning of industrial electrical systems
- Identifying scope and schedule changes in accordance with the Change Control Process
- Maintaining and planning cost control for all scopes of work.
- Ensuring that designs comply with the relevant Codes, Standards, Regulations and Procedures
- Providing technical assistance to discipline assigned personnel, as required
- Reviewing, checking and approving work output of discipline assigned personnel, as required
- Preparing estimates and schedules as well as assisting in their review
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university with P.Eng designation or ability to register as a Professional with EGBC
- 5+ years direct mining, industrial or process plant experience
- Experience with ETAP or similar software design tools are considered an asset
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and 3D design/drafting techniques
- Ability to provide technical leadership for the electrical components of multi-disciplinary industrial or mineral processing projects.
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical screening.
- Must be able to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift.
- Be able to maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts.
- Able to work in areas of extreme weather conditions.
- Able to work in close quarters with the team.
We offer a comprehensive compensation package.
If you are interested in joining our team, please e-mail your resume to Myrafalls.email@example.com citing “Electrical Engineer” in the subject line.
Trafigura is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If accommodations are required, please notify us upon scheduling an interview. Thank you for your interest in Trafigura Myra Falls Operations.
Apply for Electrical Engineer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly