Myra Falls mine, situated in Strathcona Provincial Park, 90kms southwest of Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, has been operational since 1965 and employs 450 employees and contractors. The mine has a lifespan of over ten years. It is ramping up production to over 800,000 metric tonnes of zinc, lead and copper ore per annum, key commodities in the transition to a lower-carbon economy.
The Myra Falls mining operation was previously owned by leading global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar. Following the company’s financial restructuring in 2019, Trafigura became a majority shareholder, and the mine is now part of the Trafigura Mining Group portfolio. Trafigura Mining Group’s assets extend across Europe, Africa, North America and Latin America, ranging from wholly-owned facilities to joint ventures and minority investments.
Trafigura is a leading provider of the key commodities that power and develop our world, with international operations comprising 8,619 employees in 88 offices across 48 countries. For almost three decades, Trafigura has been connecting its customers to the global economy, growing prosperity by advancing trade. Trafigura sources, stores, blends and delivers a range of raw materials, including oil and refined products and metals and minerals to customers around the world and has recently established a Power and Renewables Trading division.
The trading business is supported by industrial investments and assets, including majority ownership of global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar; a significant shareholding in global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura Mining Group; and Galena Asset Management.
Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, increasing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD147 billion in 2020.
We are looking for a Mine Geologist to join our Engineering team. Reporting to Technical Services Manager your primary responsibility is to provide support to the Geology and Engineering departments and manage all aspects of underground grade control. Design and implement definition diamond drill programs that add value to the mine plan and ensure maximum recovery of ore. Liaise with operations department and provide consultation to help manage ground conditions and underground development.
The Mine Geologist is accountable for ensuring the following:
- Grade Control programs are optimized and made widely available to assist the engineering and operations groups
- Drilling programs are implemented that benefit the mine plan and increase knowledge of the mining areas
- Mapping programs are detailed and complete
- Ground control and geotechnical recommendations are being followed
- Mine Planning is provided with most current geological interpretations and that changes to interpretations are conveyed to the planning departments
- Review block models and stope designs as required
- Provide leadership, direction and feedback to Geotechnicians and Mine Operations
- Quality geological data is entered to geology databases
- Review stope reconciliations on a regular basis
- Assist in development of SOPs and JHA procedures
- All information is transferred to the geological database accurately and in a timely manner
- Compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Participation in all safety meetings and exercises
- Compliance with Nyrstar HSEC policies including Nyrstar Life-Saving Rules
- All substandard conditions must be reported and corrected immediately
Have a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in mine site exploration and mine geology with a College Diploma and/or Bachelors of Science Degree in related discipline. Experience in underground mines and polymetallic deposits would be considered an asset.
- Strong knowledge of advanced geological processes and concepts
- Geology, Physics, Math, Statistics, Chemistry
- Software pertinent to mine and exploration geology. Preferably Vulcan and Deswik
- Database management
- Quality control programs
- Mine Planning
- Diamond drilling
- Sampling protocols
- Instrumentation and analysis
- Worksafe BC standards and BC Mines Act
We offer a comprehensive compensation package.
If you are interested in joining our team, please e-mail your resume to Myrafalls.email@example.com citing “Mine Geologist” in the subject line.
Trafigura is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If accommodations are required, please notify us upon scheduling an interview. Thank you for your interest in Trafigura Myra Falls Operations.
Apply for Mine Geologist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly