Myra Falls mine, situated in Strathcona Provincial Park, 90kms southwest of Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, has been operational since 1965 and employs 450 employees and contractors. The mine has a lifespan of over ten years. It is ramping up production to over 800,000 metric tonnes of zinc, lead and copper ore per annum, key commodities in the transition to a lower-carbon economy.
The Myra Falls mining operation was previously owned by leading global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar. Following the company’s financial restructuring in 2019, Trafigura became a majority shareholder, and the mine is now part of the Trafigura Mining Group portfolio. Trafigura Mining Group’s assets extend across Europe, Africa, North America and Latin America, ranging from wholly-owned facilities to joint ventures and minority investments.
Trafigura is a leading provider of the key commodities that power and develop our world, with international operations comprising 8,619 employees in 88 offices across 48 countries. For almost three decades, Trafigura has been connecting its customers to the global economy, growing prosperity by advancing trade. Trafigura sources, stores, blends and delivers a range of raw materials, including oil and refined products and metals and minerals to customers around the world and has recently established a Power and Renewables Trading division.
The trading business is supported by industrial investments and assets, including majority ownership of global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar; a significant shareholding in global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura Mining Group; and Galena Asset Management.
Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, increasing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD147 billion in 2020.
We are looking for a Mine Engineer to join our engineering team. Reporting to the Engineering Superintendent, this position is to provide technical support to the mines by planning/monitoring primary ventilation/DPM control and working with the mines to improve drilling, blasting, and ground support practices that over time maximizes the total value able to be created from the resource located at multiple mine sites.
- Developing and updating design parameters that include but are not limited to primary ventilation and DPM control
- Responsible for coordinating the creation, implementation and periodic review of mine specific DPM Control plans
- Coordinate DPM monitoring with Safety & Health and Mine Operations to ensure compliance with the DPM Control Plan
- Responsible for coordinating creation, implementation and periodic review of mine specific Ventilation plans
- Coordinate ventilation monitoring with Safety & Health and Mine Operations to ensure compliance with the individual mine’s Ventilation Plan
- Take the lead in design and specification of primary ventilation controls and fan installations
- Monitor progress of project progress and assist where possible to correct variances
- Monitor ground conditions, over break, and pillar locations on a regular basis
- Assist mine operations to improve drilling, blasting, and scaling practices to improve ground support cycle.
- Coordinate annual outside review on ground control plan and practices
- Responsible for coordinating creation, implementation and review of mine specific ground control plans for review by the outside geomechanics consultant.
- Investigate, propose and trial alternate ground control methods to improve safety, productivity and costs.
- Support the team to build requisite structures
- Work with the team to ensure the long term viability of the team
- Support team members in their personal development
- Proactively seeks to understand the roles and the needs of other team members
- Actively participate in team discussions and decisions
- Maintain a cost conscious approach
- Provide specialist technical advice to the team in areas of competence
- Work with the team to seek options and to anticipate future requirements related to all accountabilities associated with this role
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate communications and relationships within the MTS department
- Establish and maintain appropriate communications between the MTS department and other departments by building appropriate relationships and a be-of-service approach
- Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering
- Minimum 5 years in the underground mining industry
- Having passed the FE or possessing a PE is a plus
- High level of initiative, resourcefulness and personal organization
- Good time management and prioritization skills
- Results driven achiever with exemplary planning and organization skills
- Strong communication and uses effective methods and approaches to persuade, convince, or influence others.
- Working knowledge of practical ventilation and ventilation simulation
- Working knowledge of practical rock mechanics techniques
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Project, and Word. (Access or other data base programs beneficial)
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Deswik preferrable
We offer a comprehensive compensation package.
If you are interested in joining our team, please e-mail your resume to Myrafalls.firstname.lastname@example.org citing “Mine Engineer” in the subject line.
Trafigura is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If accommodations are required, please notify us upon scheduling an interview. Thank you for your interest in Trafigura Myra Falls Operations.
Apply for Mine Engineer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly