Myra Falls mine, situated in Strathcona Provincial Park, 90kms southwest of Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, has been operational since 1965 and employs 450 employees and contractors. The mine has a lifespan of over ten years. It is ramping up production to over 800,000 metric tonnes of zinc, lead and copper ore per annum, key commodities in the transition to a lower-carbon economy.
The Myra Falls mining operation was previously owned by leading global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar. Following the company’s financial restructuring in 2019, Trafigura became a majority shareholder, and the mine is now part of the Trafigura Mining Group portfolio. Trafigura Mining Group’s assets extend across Europe, Africa, North America and Latin America, ranging from wholly-owned facilities to joint ventures and minority investments.
Trafigura is a leading provider of the key commodities that power and develop our world, with international operations comprising 8,619 employees in 88 offices across 48 countries. For almost three decades, Trafigura has been connecting its customers to the global economy, growing prosperity by advancing trade. Trafigura sources, stores, blends and delivers a range of raw materials, including oil and refined products and metals and minerals to customers around the world and has recently established a Power and Renewables Trading division.
The trading business is supported by industrial investments and assets, including majority ownership of global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar; a significant shareholding in global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura Mining Group; and Galena Asset Management.
Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, increasing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD147 billion in 2020.
We are looking for a Geotechnical Engineer to manage the provision of specialized technical input through the engineering, field and laboratory data acquisition and planning process to optimize mine performance for the life of the mines, ensuring mine plans are provided and understood by the operations that maximize the total value able to be created from the existing resources.
Working closely with the production teams to ensure the development designs are safe and optimize the mines profitability and sustainably in line with the Company’s goals, objectives and standards.
- Promote a high level of safety and environmental awareness amongst your team
- Responsible for providing expertise and applying rock mechanics principles to underground mine design problems, including support for underground mine engineering ranging from conceptual studies to detailed engineering
- Manage the work required to complete required calculations in a timely manner
- Endeavour to make marginally economical mining areas able to be mined through investigation of alternate mining techniques
- Responsible for the development and delivery of rock stability analyses required to provide a foundation for extraction activities and implementation of alternate mining techniques
- Provide guidance and coaching to short term planning/scheduling to ensure alignment to longer term goals pertaining to stability of underground workings
- Liaise routinely across the MTS and Mining departments to understand their needs and provide advice for Geology and Production teams.
- Improve the mine design standards as necessary
- Ensure there is a relationship between the MTS department and Mining departments by maintaining appropriate communication channels and a be-at-service approach
- Provide opportunity and work with relevant stakeholders to review, understand and provide a constructive input into the development of mine plans and stope designs.
- Ensure when new geological models are issued the mine designs are updated and changes communicated to operations in a timely manner.
- Partake in risk assessments.
- Consistently apply workplace management procedures to ensure compliance with policies, procedures, agreed values and behaviors and Nyrstar’s’ Code of Conduct
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mine Engineering
- Minimum 5 years in the mining industry and a minimum of 3 years in geomechanics.
- Sound understanding of the functions carried out by the geotechnical, geological and survey departments
- Understanding of underground mine designing and mine design software
- Understanding of technical and operating processes relevant to geomechanics
- A thorough understanding of rock mechanics and underground support systems.
- An understanding of the cycle and sequencing of mine production and development
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, Map 3D, Deswik.
- Experience in hard rock mine rock mechanics is preferred.
We offer a comprehensive compensation package.
If you are interested in joining our team, please e-mail your resume to Myrafalls.email@example.com citing “Geotechnical Engineer” in the subject line.
Trafigura is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If accommodations are required, please notify us upon scheduling an interview. Thank you for your interest in Trafigura Myra Falls Operations.
Apply for Geotechnical Engineer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly