Myra Falls mine, situated in Strathcona Provincial Park, 90kms southwest of Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, has been operational since 1965 and employs 450 employees and contractors. The mine has a lifespan of over ten years. It is ramping up production to over 800,000 metric tonnes of zinc, lead and copper ore per annum, key commodities in the transition to a lower-carbon economy.
The Myra Falls mining operation was previously owned by leading global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar. Following the company’s financial restructuring in 2019, Trafigura became a majority shareholder, and the mine is now part of the Trafigura Mining Group portfolio. Trafigura Mining Group’s assets extend across Europe, Africa, North America and Latin America, ranging from wholly owned facilities to joint ventures and minority investments.
Trafigura is a leading provider of the key commodities that power and develop our world, with international operations comprising 8,619 employees in 88 offices across 48 countries. For almost three decades, Trafigura has been connecting its customers to the global economy, growing prosperity by advancing trade. Trafigura sources, stores, blends and delivers a range of raw materials, including oil and refined products and metals and minerals to customers around the world and has recently established a Power and Renewables Trading division.
The trading business is supported by industrial investments and assets, including majority ownership of global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar; a significant shareholding in global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura Mining Group; and Galena Asset Management.
Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, increasing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD147 billion in 2020.
We are looking to hire a Buyer, reporting to the Procurement & Contracts Manager. The Buyer will be responsible for providing support in the day-to-day operations and activities involved with the procurement of goods and services to the end-user in compliance with Trafigura’s procedures and processes.
- Responsible for administering, coordinating and processing purchasing orders for goods and services for the organization. Ensure consistency and compliance with Trafigura’s terms and conditions, guidelines, procedures and standards;
- Implementation and maintenance of Fixed Purchase Agreements (FPA’s) to ensure accurate pricing on inventory items throughout the year;
- Source out requirements and identify and select a vendor to purchase goods and services, meeting criteria such as price, quantity, quality, safety and delivery date;
- Competently resolves complex issues and demonstrates innovative thinking by regularly making recommendations for new approaches to the purchasing of goods and adjudication of services;
- Ability to plan, execute and deliver recommendations to award;
- Support the continuous improvement and execution of Trafigura’s purchasing strategy, policies and guidelines regarding materials categories and contracts; cost savings and other performance metrics;
- Liaise between suppliers and relevant internal departments throughout the entire purchasing process to schedule deliveries, resolve material discrepancies, review warranty claims and process invoices discrepancies;
- Make suggestions for productivity improvements and challenge the status quo;
- Acquire materials according to the operations requirements, obtaining the best total cost of ownership, the term of execution and quality conditions;
- Complete assigned tasks assigned in a timely and efficient manner;
- Prepare reports for the Supply Chain department;
- Develop and foster successful relationships with stakeholders and key suppliers;
- Maintain the confidentiality of all Corporation information;
- Know and comply with the current Mining Safety and Health regulations and Loss Prevention procedures of Trafigura;
- Maintain safe working conditions and adheres to all Corporation policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Perform other related duties as assigned;
- Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Finance or related field;
- Minimum 2 years of related procurement experience, preferably in the mining or oil and energy sector;
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate and interact effectively with a wide variety of people;
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in a very fast-paced environment and complete tasks in a timely fashion;
- Knowledge of end-to-end supply management processes including competitive bidding, contract management and supplier performance management;
- Completion &/or currently taking Canada Supply Chain Management Professional (CSCMP) designation is an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of all purchasing functions;
- Ability to negotiate terms and conditions in proposals;
- Ability to recognize saving opportunities;
- Good working knowledge of SAP;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel);
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently, self-motivated;
We offer a comprehensive compensation package. If you are interested in joining our team, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to MyraFalls.Careers@nyrstar.com citing “Buyer” in the subject line.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If accommodations are required, please notify us upon scheduling an interview. Trafigura is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Thank you for your interest in Trafigura Myra Falls Operations.
Apply for Buyer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly