Myra Falls mine, situated in Strathcona Provincial Park, 90kms southwest of Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, has been operational since 1965 and employs 450 employees and contractors. The mine has a lifespan of over ten years. It is ramping up production to over 800,000 metric tonnes of zinc, lead and copper ore per annum, key commodities in the transition to a lower-carbon economy.
The Myra Falls mining operation was previously owned by leading global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar. Following the company’s financial restructuring in 2019, Trafigura became a majority shareholder, and the mine is now part of the Trafigura Mining Group portfolio. Trafigura Mining Group’s assets extend across Europe, Africa, North America and Latin America, ranging from wholly owned facilities to joint ventures and minority investments.
Trafigura is a leading provider of the key commodities that power and develop our world, with international operations comprising 8,619 employees in 88 offices across 48 countries. For almost three decades, Trafigura has been connecting its customers to the global economy, growing prosperity by advancing trade. Trafigura sources, stores, blends and delivers a range of raw materials, including oil and refined products and metals and minerals to customers around the world and has recently established a Power and Renewables Trading division.
The trading business is supported by industrial investments and assets, including majority ownership of global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar; a significant shareholding in global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura Mining Group; and Galena Asset Management.
Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, increasing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD147 billion in 2020.
We are looking to hire a Contract Specialist, reporting to the Procurement & Contracts Manager.
- Responsible for delivering contracts that cover the requirements of the user areas in response to urgent and ongoing operational needs; identify and develop suppliers in the market to support commercial and operational needs;
- Managing tender process, facilitate the selection of service providers, develop contract documentation, and support ongoing contract management as well as coordination of information to evaluate proposals with the user areas;
- Basic understanding of general commercial contracting regulations and principles and subcontracting practices;
- Basic knowledge and understanding of legal principles as they relate to commercial and contract management
- Co-leading negotiations of new contracts and renewals in collaboration with end-users;
- Supporting the continuous improvement and execution of Myra Falls’ sourcing strategy, policies and guidelines for service categories and contracts; is a participant in the development of value-added service for SCM customers, cost savings, and other performance metrics;
- Ensuring timely and professional service to user departments in the preparation and evaluations of bids, negotiation with suppliers, and recommendation to management for approvals, preparation of contract documentation, issuance of award of contracts and regret letters, and, management and close out of contracts;
- Develop and maintain contract documentation and support contract management throughout the timeline of the service;
- Deliver savings to achieve site cost reduction targets;
- Acquiring services per the operations requirements, obtaining the best total cost of ownership, term of execution and quality conditions;
- Track vendor performance and compare against deliverables;
- Knowing and complying with the current Mining Safety and Health regulations and Loss Prevention procedures of Myra Falls, considering the health and safety impact of all work-related decisions and seeking methods to improve safety performance of supplier base both operationally and contractually;
- Perform other duties as assigned;
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Supply Chain, Accounting OR related field or equivalent experience required
- Two (2) to five (5) years of directly related procurement experience or equivalent combination of training and experience required
- Professional designation or certification in related area is an asset
- Technical knowledge and experience in civil, mechanical, and electrical engineering and/or construction (asset).
- Strong computer skills using office software such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint required
- Knowledge SAP or equivalent enterprise level software packages preferred
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills required
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve conflict
- Strong computer skills
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong sense of urgency
- Must have a positive, solution-oriented, and customer-focused attitude
- Ability to build and foster positive relationship with all levels within the company and external vendors and stakeholders
- A team player and a self-motivated individual
We offer a comprehensive compensation package. If you are interested in joining our team, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to MyraFalls.Careers@nyrstar.com citing “Contract Specialist” in the subject line.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If accommodations are required, please notify us upon scheduling an interview. Trafigura is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Thank you for your interest in Trafigura Myra Falls Operations.
Apply for Contract Specialist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly