Atlantic Gold is a wholly owned subsidiary of St Barbara Limited, an ASX listed gold producer and explorer with mining assets in Canada, Australia and Papua New Guinea. We are proud to be a Company recognized by industry awards for operational excellence and performance, sustainability, gender diversity and pay equity.
We seek an experienced professional to fill the role of Tailings Engineer.
This permanent and full time position is based at the Touquoy mine site located approximately 1-hour northeast of Halifax, near Middle Musquodoboit, Nova Scotia. The mine is fully permitted and began production in fall 2017.
Our Tailings Engineer will join a dynamic Mill Operations team. Reporting to the Manager Mill Operations, your role will be responsible for the monitoring, construction, maintenance and surveillance of the Tailings Management Facility (TMF) and Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP) within Atlantic Operations as well as participating in daily operations, safety programs and projects.
- Monitoring, construction, maintenance and surveillance of the Tailings Management Facility (TMF) and Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP) within Atlantic Operations along with daily operations, safety programs and projects
- Active member to ensure team & departmental compliance with company and statutory safety, environmental and operational standards and policy.
- Review, monitor, and update the Water Balance and Deposition Plan
- Monitoring and logging of the tailings deposition, water level, piezometer readings, tailings line, erosion and daily operation.
- Act as liaison between the Engineer of Record and other contractors working on bathymetry, water balance, deposition plan, tailings dam construction plan and any improvements or modifications to the TMF.
- Act as liaison between AGC Mill operations, Metallurgy, Environment and TMF Dam Construction Project Manager and Contractors to communicate status of deliverables and ensure targets are consistently met for the TMF Quality Assurance Program and construction targets.
- Act as liaison between the International Tailings Review Board (ITRB) and the company for early reviews of the TMF.
- Short- and Long-term planning for TMF construction and operation including Effluent Treatment Plant.
- Train mill operators in all tasks assigned to them, check that work is being done safely and correct any unsafe acts and conditions.
- Complete and submit monthly and annual reports to regulatory agencies and St Barbara.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, HSEC Standards, and relevant guidelines
- Conduct analysis of TMF data and produce timely recommendations to the operation.
- Conduct Tailings Technology identification, review, assessment, and support work.
- Develop, introduce, and maintain education, awareness, and reporting system for sites and technical team members.
- Perform routine dam inspections of the tailings facility and various site water dam structures, report on those inspections, and provide recommendations to the Engineering, Environment, and Processing groups.
- Implement the surveillance, inspection, monitoring, and maintenance plan.
Our successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- A personal commitment to behavior consistent with St Barbara's Values including honesty and integrity, respect, working together, delivering to promise and striving to do better
- Bachelor's in Geological, Geotechnical or Civil (geotechnical option) Engineering
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
- Software skills in Microsoft Office Suite. Exposure to databases and experience with process operating data management software would be highly regarded
- Must possess a systematic approach to problems solving and decision making
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Well versed in industrial and Tailings protocols, rules and code of conduct is an asset
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks requiring the use of independent judgment and action
- Willingness to work in a team environment
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner.
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures
- Ability to follow a firm work schedule as directed
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to a variety of project sites
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Ability to pass a background check
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- A Master's Degree in Geotechnical Engineering considered an asset
- TMF experience at a gold mine would be considered an asset
- Registration or eligibility for immediate registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) considered an asset.