Heavy Equipment Service Technician or Mechanic
Build a rewarding career within Baffinland and join Local 793!
We are hiring for Heavy Equipment Service Technicians & Mechanics
• Perform unplanned and planned maintenance tasks as assigned.
• Document task completion appropriately, leaving a detailed handover for tasks not completed at shift end.
• Perform safety interactions and complete field level risk assessments before task commencement. Perform and participate in Job Hazard Analysis when required to ensure all risks are identified and controlled.
• Attend and participate in daily safety tool box talks, periodic safety meetings, routine and statutory safety inspections and planned task observations as required.
• Participate in the development of safe work procedures/ instructions and promote safety, health and environmental awareness and compliance at all times.
• Comply with all of the appropriate Baffinland and Equipment manufacturer’s procedures/instructions/manuals diligently while performing all tasks without incident and in an environmentally responsible manner.
• Report hours worked and complete detailed service reports accurately and on time.
• Use SAP software system effectively to properly document work performed, order parts, check inventory and
monitor equipment history.
• Monitor all Mobile Maintenance equipment and infrastructure condition to ensure safe use. Advise and act on
areas requiring improvement, repair, or correction while ensuring compliance to all applicable standards.
• Perform pre PM/intervention inspections of equipment being repaired and perform prerelease inspections on equipment with completed interventions to ensure safe and reliable operating condition. Ensure all safety and fire prevention systems on all equipment are operating correctly at all times and are operating as designed.
• Communicate with and assist in preparing scopes with the maintenance planners and supervisors advising on task progression, parts requirements, task duration, schedule loading, and provide accurate equipment task information and performance to plan details. Ensure plan deviations or deficiencies are communicated to the supervisor.
• Advise and implement corrective measures to achieve desired plan results in conjunction with the supervisor.
• Identify and communicate opportunities for the continuous improvement of maintenance processes and systems. Participate improvement ideas as directed.
• Communicate effectively internally within the department as well as with all other departments, sections and
contractors as required.
• This position works shift work to cover continuous operations. Shifts can be Days/Afternoons or Nights.
Primary Skills & Qualifications
• (Red Seal) Heavy Equipment Technician – Off Road / Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic Certificate of Qualification with 5 or more years of field maintenance experience working on heavy equipment in an open pit mining environment required
• Welding and fabrication experience required with an emphasis on equipment, structural and ground engaging tool maintenance best practices in the shop and field.
• Extensive experience troubleshooting, repairing, changing components, and performing maintenance activities on the following equipment:
• Atlas Copco PV271 & D65 drills
• Cat 6030 face shovel
• Cat MD6290 drills
• Cat 793F and 777G trucks
• Cat 14M/16H/16M Motorgraders
• Cat D6/D9T/D10T Track Type tractors
• Cat 390D/320D/345D Excavators
• Cat 994K/992K/988H/950/930 Wheel loaders
• Cat 740B Articulated trucks
• Sandvik DX800 drills
• Lube trucks, Skidsteers, Telehandler, Forklifts, Cranes and other ancillary equipment
• Terex/Grove Cranes of various models
Secondary Skills & Qualifications
• Proven track record in safe work practices and quality workmanship.
• Motivated, hard working with a professional attitude and the ability to work alone and unsupervised in remote areas in the shop or field in remote arctic environments.
• Focused, energetic and organized with superior attention to detail and acts with a sense of urgency when required.
• Excellent troubleshooting, diagnostics, failure mode analysis and defect identification skills. Prior NDT experience will be highly regarded.
• Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions and to interpret technical, procedures, design drawings, manuals and specifications.
• Language: Speak English, Read English, Write English (Inuktitut would be an asset).
• Certification of qualification to operate forklifts, Skidsteers, large cranes and/or boom trucks will be highly regarded
• Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Able to work outdoors in all-weather condition.
• Experience with Mentoring Apprentices.
• Physically fit to perform all aspects of job.
Examples of Supporting Documents:
• Relevant Certificates from Baffinland recognized training institutes
• An authorized document from a former employer verifying previous experience
How To Apply:
• Please visit our website to apply online at;
• You may also send your resume by email to;
• Applicants may also call 905-469-9299 Ext. 2159 to speak with Dennis Bustos, Membership Recruitment Specialist, Mining Sector.
About IUOE Local 793
For 100 years the International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE) Local 793 has successfully represented more than 17,000 operators and industrial and mining workers in Ontario and Nunavut. Becoming a Local 793 Member empowers you with incredible opportunity to access even more jobs at more than one company and further expand your experience, training, and skills. Become another inspired member with us and grow your career at an even higher level!
Learn more about the amazing success and rich history of IUOE Local 793: https://vimeo.com/378344656
Learn more about Baffinland Iron Mines and its operations:
Please Note: The Partnership Collective Agreement between the Union and Baffinland recognizes and respects that Baffinland is party to an Inuit Impact and Benefit Agreement (IIBA) that covers its mining operations. The IIBA provides that Inuit must have the opportunity for equitable and meaningful participation in Baffinland’s work at the mine. Therefore, Baffinland’s hiring priority will be given to beneficiaries under the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement (NLCA) from Pond Inlet, Igloolik, Clyde River, Hall Beach and Arctic Bay and Iqaluit, followed by residents from other Baffin region communities and then to all other NLCA beneficiaries.
Apply for Heavy Equipment Service Technician or Mechanic
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly