Discover what's possible with us
Newcrest is one of the world's largest gold mining companies. As a global business, we aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, valued, and supported to bring their whole unique self to work.
We recognise that our different backgrounds and perspectives help us find better ways to: solve problems; attract and retain the best people; explore, develop, and produce more gold safely and profitably; and help make Newcrest a better place to work.
Our Red Chris mine is located on the traditional territory of the Tahltan and we encourage qualified applicants from the local communities to apply. We offer several designated marshalling points within BC including Nanaimo, Vancouver, Kelowna, Kamloops, Williams Lake, Prince George, Smithers and Calgary AB. Who we're looking for:
These roles will contribute to the safe, cost effective production from the Red Chris Open Pit by providing drill and blast engineering services. Accountabilities:
- Safety In Design with an emphasis on safe open-pit production
- Deliver Open Pit drill and blast design functions to allow surface mining operations to mine in a safe and efficient manner
- Delivery of a weekly drill and blast schedule that is integrated with the weekly mine plan
- Ensure the Survey Team has clear priorities in support of drill and blast activities
- Explanation & reconciliation of plan versus actual variances for drilling and blasting activities
- Development of the Rolling 3 Month Blast Master document
- Accountable and responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining procedures, Management of Change (MOC) processes and databases for all drill and blast functions
- Accountable and responsible for commercial justification and contribute to business improvements that drive production improvements and cost efficiencies within the open pit
- Accountable for change management, risk assessments and approvals completed as required
- Accountable and responsible for quickly resolving conflicting stakeholder objectives
Qualifications and Experience: Required:
- Drill and blast Quality Control and Quality Assurance skills and experience
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to quickly triage production and technical issues whilst engaging appropriate individuals
- Conduct incident investigations and Root Cause Analyses (RCA)
- Strong understanding of the mine surveying function, from the field to the office, including limitations, bias and the technological systems involved
• Demonstrated commitment to safety and the environment
• A Bachelor's Degree in Mine Engineering, or equivalent certified formal education
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in drilling and blasting in open pit / surface blasting
• Experience with drill and blast software - ShotPlus, MineSight (Blast)
• Experience with mine planning software - MineSight (Atlas), Vulcan, Surpac, etc.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer, or able to become registered within 6 months Recommended and considered and asset:
• Short Range Planning experience in polymetallic open pit
• Geology and Geotechnical engineering experience
• Underground drill and blast operational experience
• Previous experience working at a Fly-In / Fly-Out operation Our commitment to you
At Newcrest, we hold core values that focus on caring about people, working together and achieving a high-performance culture through innovation and problem solving.
Newcrest's commitment to diversity and inclusion respects both the rights of every individual to work to their highest potential, free of discrimination, as well as the cultures, religions and governing codes applicable to each country in which we operate.
If you share our values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, please apply online before the advertised application closing date