Emergency Services Officer Amrun based
About the roleAll progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
- Key residential role to contribute to our Emergency Services Team
- Live in Weipa BIBO and stay in our new camp at Amrun
- Females and Indigenous Persons are encouraged to apply
We are looking for an Emergency Services Officer to work as part of the sites Emergency Services team. Our services cover three mining areas Andoom, East Weipa and Amrun.
This role is a great opportunity for an individual who has a strong work ethic and a 'can do' attitude.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible.
Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing are our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
The role will be based at Amrun, working a 4,5,5 day/night roster. Reporting to the Supervisor Emergency Services, you will be:
What you will bring
- Responding to emergency incidents at Amrun operations and Camp Village;
- Support the site Land and Sea team with wild fires;
- Responding to fire and rescue emergencies within the Weipa Township and surrounding areas, as well as assisting Queensland Ambulance Service when required;
- Support the site Injury management process;
- Comply with the RTA Weipa Poison Permit procedures and protocols.
- Testing and maintaining portable fire protection assets, firefighting, rescue equipment and emergency vehicles;
- Administering the site alcohol and other drugs sampling program;
- Issuing work permits for confined space, hot work and working at heights;
- Ensuring all work is undertaken in accordance with Rio Tinto's operating procedures;
- Fostering a culture of zero harm and continuous improvement.
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Cert III Mines Rescue or Public Safety Fire Fighting Operations
- Cert IV Emergency Medical Technician
- Drug & Alcohol Testing
- Cert II Fire Systems testing & Inspection - Specifically Extinguishers, fire blankets and hydrants.
- QLD Fire Safety Advisor
- A current Class MR driver's license
- A positive safety record and excellent customer service skills
It would be beneficial if you have or willing to obtain the following:
What we offer
- Computer skills in office packages
- Written and verbal communication skills
Where you will be working
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidized private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Domestic relocation assistance on offer
- Weipa accommodation benefit
- Amrun allowance
- Remote area allowance
- Remote area holiday travel assistance
- Leave for all of life reasons (annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Rio Tinto employee share program.
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and home)
Rio Tinto Weipa is located 900km north-west of Cairns on the Gulf of Carpentaria and has been operating for over 50 years. Over the years, it has developed into a vibrant and diverse cultural hub of the Western Cape. Weipa offers a coastal community rich in geographical beauty and cultural heritage that provides families with opportunities to participate in leisure activities, sports and community events. With a strong sense of community, the region has plenty of natural beauty to offer including the opportunities for boating, fishing, camping and exploring. Construction of the Amrun mining operation, located 40 kilometers southwest of Weipa, was completed in late 2018 expanding our bauxite operations to continue production from one of the world's premier bauxite deposits.About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminum the world's first to be certified "responsible" helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are hear, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome- they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural background.