Journeyperson, Heavy Duty Mechanic
About the roleAll progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Work with an exceptional team of operations and maintenance personnel across the mine site
- An opportunity to introduce and implement continuous improvement initiatives
We are currently accepting applications for Journeyperson, Heavy Duty Mechanic,
to be responsible for performing planned and breakdown, installation and maintenance to mechanical equipment in a safe, environmentally friendly and cost-effective manner to ensure that equipment availability is maximized.
Reporting to Supervisor, Power Distribution, this position is located at the Lac de Gras Mine site, you will be working on a 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off rotation in the interim, rotational schedule on a 12 hours per shift day, with the potential that this changes to a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off rotation in the future, once the COVID-19 pandemic normalizes.
Working collaboratively with all operational and functional departments, you will be responsible for:
- Installing new or overhauled equipment in a timely manner according to manufacturer's recommendations;
- Keeping work areas and equipment clean and free of safety hazards on a continuous basis and conduct safety audits as per company policy;
- Performing preventative maintenance to achieve equipment availability greater than 90 percent;
- Repairing equipment within planned time frames as indicated in work orders;
- Conducting equipment inspections in response to Operator concerns or as outlined by the maintenance schedule and detect and diagnose troubles;
- Performing repairs in a cost-effective, safe, and environmentally friendly manner to maximize equipment availability;
- Entering detailed reports on maintenance, repairs, and diagnosis into the preventative and predictive maintenance database prior to the end of each shift;
- Providing adequate detail about repairs so that others can understand what work has been done on the equipment;
- Working and Promoting Safety within the processing plant;
- Completing other related work as assigned by the Power Distribution Supervisor, Lead Hand, or Senior Managers.
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Strong safety mindset;
- Interprovincial Journeyperson certification as a Heavy-Duty Mechanic
- At least 3 years of related experience in a heavy industrial setting;
- Experience working as a Mechanic on the same equipment used at Diavik Diamond Mines preferred;
- Highly organized and ability to work in high stress situations and resolve issues;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to influence and obtain buy-in from diverse stakeholders;
- Experience managing projects in a maintenance environment;
- Knowledge of computer programs including common office software.
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium the world's first to be certified "responsible" helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.Closing Date: October 15, 2021