To direct and coordinate the safe, environmentally compliant, productive and cost-effective operation of the Mission Mine. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Provide technical assistance to operational projects and problems. Operate mine in a safe manner consistent with the Asarco Management System and all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
- Monitor daily mine operations to ensure that all mine customers receive the material they need for their operations, while maintaining lowest possible operating cost.
- Draft and produce monthly, quarterly, and yearly production, manpower, drilling, and blasting forecasts and budgets.
- Develop capital short range and long range capital and operational budgets - draft capital appropriation for equipment and technology improvement initiatives.
- Provide mentoring, coaching, and counseling to supervisors in an effort to increase awareness to operating the team at peak productivity and lowest cost considerations, equipment operating techniques, labor agreement issues, and federal and state safety regulations.
- Implement engineered solutions to ongoing operational issues. Develop, prepare, and present professional quality reports for the Mine Operation management.
- Participated in monthly safety inspections and ensures subordinate compliance with the program.
- Create and review production performance metrics and monitor corrective actions.
- Manage the Labor Agreement, monitors compliance of the Absentee control and Drug and Alcohol programs, hears and answers, second step grievances, holds disciplinary hearings and makes discipline decisions. Resolves operational and employee problems.
- Review Dispatch operation performance graphs and provide coaching to maximize dispatch efficiencies.
- Manage and provide input into the management of the pit slope stability monitoring program to ensure the safety of the workforce, equipment, and to ensure the safe extraction of material from the ore body.
- Communicate regularly with the Mine Manager, Technical Services Planning Engineers, Geologists, Ore Control Engineer, Maintenance General Supervisors, North and South Mill Operations and Crusher Operations on matters concerning operating practices that have the potential to increase production and decrease costs.
- Participate in department's manpower and scheduling determinations.
- Aggressively monitors employee performance and compliance to safety and company policy.
- Input regularly to production planning, ore control, and department staff meetings.
- Provide leadership qualities, boosts morale, and instills discipline with subordinates.
- Fill-in and perform the functions of the Mine Manager in his absence.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Mine Manager.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Strong interpersonal skills in developing consensus building.
- Applicant must have good communications skills (oral and written).
- Must be able to manage time effectively and set priorities.
- Requires the ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH & SAFETY
- Degree in Mining Engineering or similar degree desired.
- Must have prior management/supervisory experience of 5 years in open pit copper mining.
- Background in drilling and blasting desired.
- Experience operating in a union-based environment desired.
- The job requires training or instruction in the area of environmental Awareness.
- This job requires training or instruction in the area of Safety & Health awareness including completion of the appropriate MSHA training.
- Able to obtain ATF clearance.
- Ability to climb stairs, ladders, and other vehicle access methods on a regular basis. Ability to walk over rough terrain on a regular basis. Ability to don and use personal protective equipment.
A core value of ASARCO LLC is "Safety First." The Company is committed to help employees continuously improve their efforts to work in the most safe, inclusive, socially and environmentally responsible manner practicable. Employee safety and health, both on and off the job, are critically important to the Company. Therefore, ASARCO LLC requires employees to have and effectively demonstrate good working knowledge of modern safety systems. Each employee will take prime responsibility for ensuring that s/he works within all required safety procedures and processes.
ASARCO LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates must possess a current and valid driver's license. Offers of employment are contingent upon a successful criminal background check and pre-employment physical including a drug screen (hair analysis). ASARCO LLC offers an excellent low cost benefits package for medical/prescription/ dental/vision, disability coverage, life insurance and other optional coverage and 401(k) plan with company match.