About the roleAll progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
- Working a 9 day fortnight
- Ongoing training and development provided
- Gladstone based
We are looking for an Environmental Advisor to join our Environmental output team ensuring successful strategic and operational implementation of health, safety and environmental standards across the site end to ensure that impacts of the operation are minimised.
This is a great opportunity to create a strong partnership with our operational teams and with the ability to influence change and drive improvements.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible.
Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
Reporting to the Superintendent, Environment and working in a diverse team, you will be
What you will bring
- Assessing the compliance with environmental license conditions;
- Supporting the environmental programs;
- Leading environmental incident response;
- Providing input into annual compliance reports;
- Assisting identification of key risks and developing procedures to control them;
- Providing support to the Superintendent, Environment to maintain compliance of the operations and drive improvements in environmental performance.
What we offer
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Degree qualification in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or applied Sciences with proven experience in incident management.
- Site based operational experience with knowledge of Management Systems ISO 14000:1
About Rio Tinto
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP)
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matters
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium the world's first to be certified "responsible" helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.Where you will be working
With production beginning in 2004 at our Yarwun alumina refinery, located approximately 10 kilometres north-west of Gladstone in Central Queensland, today the operation produces more than three million tonnes of alumina per year.
Around 700 people support the operation, with an additional 350 contractors on site each year as part of scheduled maintenance shutdown activities. Thanks to its 'Industry 4.0' focus, Yarwun is also a leader in trialling new technologies to improve operations on site, including 3D printing, robotics and drones in confined spaces, and is home to Rio Tinto's innovative Queensland Research and Development Centre (QRDC).
Along with Boyne Smelters Limited and Queensland Alumina Limited, our Yarwun Operation supports the local community in a wide range of initiatives through Here for Gladstone. Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.