October 24, 2021
Make a difference by joining our passionate Environmental Team!
Reporting to the Manager, Regulatory Approvals, the Senior Lead, Operational Regulatory Approvals (Temporary 12-Months) is responsible for driving regulatory approvals activities for our Coal Business unit. We are looking for someone to lead and supervise a dynamic team of professionals at the coordinator and lead level, as well as coordinate with our other operations in BC and Alberta. This role is based in Sparwood, however will spend two to three days a week at our coal mining operations in the area.
To be successful, we require someone with outstanding leadership, interpersonal and communication abilities, who is skilled at building and maintaining relationships. We are looking for a motivated self-starter with strong organizational and planning abilities, excellent technical writing skills, and who can collaborate well with a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Come experience what work life balance is all about. Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Coordinate the preparation and delivery of applications, and regulatory review and engagement processes for close to 100 non-major permits each year to support ongoing site operations and perming related compliance items
- Mentor a team of at least five coordinators or leads based at site in resolving permitting needs, tracking permitting progress, preparing applications, and acquiring regulatory approvals
- Interact with regulators, local Indigenous Nations, and with mine personnel across all levels and multiple departments to advise and resolve issues
- Conduct an annual forecast of operational permitting needs and timelines, and track progress against submitted applications
- Provide educational sessions regarding permitting processes
- Maintain the Permitting Guide for Non-major Projects, including an update on an annual basis
- Manage the review and sign off non-substantial checklist as per guidance provided by the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation
- Develop and update permit application templates and best management practices
- Provide direction on permitting strategies including required engagement activities, permitting schedules, and application approach, scope, and quality
- Work with the mine operations on permit hand-over processes and operational readiness
- Understand, interpret, and advise on existing and emerging federal and provincial regulations related to permitting
- Identify areas for innovation to ensure continuous improvement of permitting processes, and direct work
- Ensure alignment and integration of permitting work with other members of the Regulatory Approvals team and with regional environmental and social responsibility programs
- Science or Engineering degree or diploma in an environmental related field, or an equivalent combination of education
- Minimum ten years of demonstrated ability in regulatory approvals and project management in the natural resource sector, preferably in mining
- Solid understanding of provincial and federal regulatory approvals practices, legislation, and regulations, especially within BC
- Ability to provide critical review of regulatory submissions
- Experience working with Indigenous Nations, regulatory agencies, local communities, and other partners
- Experience at an operating mine site (preferably within BC and in coal industry)
- Understanding of the BCMines Act and experience in preparing Mines Act permit applications is considered an asset
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a personal characteristic protected under applicable human rights legislation may request to be exempt from this requirement. We will do our best to accommodate those who are unable to be vaccinated.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral developmentwith major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources. Job Segment:
Regulatory Affairs, Law, Temporary, Engineer, Legal, Contract, Engineering, Mining