October 27, 2021
Reporting to the Senior Engineering Supervisor Processing, the Automation Specialist is responsible for leading process control improvements that drive value to Teck. The successful candidate will work as part of the Fording River Processing Department in close collaboration with a high performing team of specialists to safely deliver and maintain a diverse set of technology that is redefining the way Teck operates its mineral processing systems.
To be successful, we are looking for someone with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who possess strong program and project leadership abilities and a solid understanding of business analysis techniques. This role requires a highly motivated and detail-oriented teammate who can work independently but also apply a collaborative approach to problem-solving and think strategically to deliver a valuable service strategy. The ability to deliver timely, high-quality results in a fast-paced and dynamic environment is vital in this role.
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Come experience what work life balance is all about! Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Work as a part of a highly collaborative team with a focus on delivering value and promoting sharing of practices across operations
- Engage people at all levels in the organization, across Teck Coal operations and the Sparwood process improvement group
- Provide design and implementation support to both brown and greenfield major projects
- Draft capital Appropriation Requests and Project Charters
- Drive and manage change (5YR Automation Planning) with the opportunity to own the outcome
- Collaborate closely with internal and external teams to resolve sophisticated technical problems
- Define, implement, support, and continuously improve cutting edge systems that optimize safety, sustainability, and efficiency
- Monitor for system problems and provide emergency support
- Adhere to departmental change control policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain documentation of standards and best practices
- Electrical or Senior Instrumentation Technologist with an Automation focus or related field, or bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related subject area, or equivalent experience
- Registered, or eligible to register with, Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC)
- Minimum of five years’ experience working on industrial process control systems, programming PLC and HMI Systems with a background in instrumentation and automation
- Knowledge of Advance Process Control (MPC); simulation (Matlab, loop tuning software)
- Experience with commissioning and startup, along with system troubleshooting and testing (factory acceptance testing and site acceptance testing)
- Ability to understand and develop control systems from engineering documents such as P&ID’s, control narratives, and function diagrams
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows desktop and server Operating Systems, virtualization, Active Directory, and computer networking fundamentals
- Knowledge of industrial control system security concepts and techniques, application source control, electrical systems, and computer network and database fundamentals
- Strong process documentation and reporting capabilities
- Rockwell and Wonderware experience and training are required
- Valid class five drivers' license
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a personal characteristic protected under applicable human rights legislation may request to be exempt from this requirement. We will do our best to accommodate those who are unable to be vaccinated.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral developmentwith major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources. Job Segment:
Engineer, Electrical, Database, Virtualization, Engineering, Mining, Technology