Who We Are
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our open-pit mine and concentrator in Voisey’s Bay - Vale’s only fly-in/fly-out operation in Canada - produces nickel-cobalt-copper concentrate and copper concentrate. An underground expansion will see a transition to a leading edge underground mine extending the life of the mine until 2034. Our state-of the-art facility in Long Harbour is the first nickel processing plant in the world to use hydrometallurgy technology to produce Plating RoundsTM from hard rock (sulphide) concentrate, with low carbon footprint compared to traditional smelter technology. Our offices in St. John’s and Goose Bay provide support to the Newfoundland and Labrador Operations.The Opportunity
We are currently seeking an OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE ENGINEERING CO-OP STUDENT WINTER 2022
to join our Vale Newfoundland and Labrador Operation’s Team
in Voisey’s Bay (if site allows), as well as working from home
. This is a fixed term (4 month) position with fly-in fly-out operations.
As an Operational Excellence Co-op Student, you will have the opportunity to further your development by providing day-to-day support for various projects and initiatives within the Vale Newfoundland and Labrador team. From implementing a Vale Production System (VPS) at all operations worldwide, as well as using different methodologies to assist the team in proposing new ideas and leading the Culture Change in applying Lean tools to leadership development, diversity & inclusion and culture, you will have a holistic and enriching experience like no other. You will also gain a deeper understanding of our company and our sustainable approach to mining via exposure to other Vale operations in Canada and our global headquarters in Brazil. In this position, you will:
- Support the implementation of a Continuous Improvement (lean) mindset.
- Provide technical support to clients, to ensure the implementation and consolidation of the management model to achieve Operational Excellence (Basic Problem Solving – 5S, 5 Why, Deviation; Action plans; and Implement Routine Management – Daily meetings, KPIs breakdown, Deviation Analysis, etc.).
- Design user-centric applications to capture and record improvement projects.
- Improve user experience for understanding strategic objectives and data.
- Develop automated systems to integrate data from various sources into a widely distributed medium.
- Increase efficiency and streamline processes by developing automation tools for repetitive tasks.
- Integrate technology and digital innovation in visualization of data.
- Prepare data/analytics to provide insights into trends and patterns for strategic decision making.
- Process raw data from multiple sources, data cleansing and deep dives to understand connections and correlations in information.
What’s in it for You?
- Currently enrolled as a student in an Engineering (Co-op) Program.
- Previous work experience in an industrial setting would be considered an asset.
- Solid verbal, written and analytical communication skills.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office products—specifically Excel.
- Proven time management and organization skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Flexible and adaptable mindset.
- A proven safety record.
- Ability to create networks and relationships with stakeholders.
- Creative problem solver and able to respond to various situations with appropriate urgency.
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines.
Difference Makes All the Difference
- Competitive salary
- Opportunities to build your network and lots of fun!
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and Vale values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application online at www.valejobs.ca or by forwarding their application to their Vale Aboriginal Employment Coordinator. Deadline to Apply: Friday, October 29 th , 2021