Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont's Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations' high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont's shareholders.
About This Role
- Responsible for Regional Underground Mine Technical Services strategic planning, quality assurance and capability development.
- Implement and lead an UG quality assurance process focused on ensuring best UG risk management, planning, scheduling, resourcing and execution practices.
- Steer the MTS team towards identifying strategic constraints and support the setting of clear objectives, mitigation plans with milestones to overcome these constraints.
- Coordinate with Exploration and Resource Geology, Newmont Long Term Plans, Projects and operations to ensure optimal value recovery from regional UG studies, projects and operations.
In This Role You Will: Safety Mentoring
- Ensure that work practices, procedures and policies reflect best practices and that these are implemented by self, all members of the Mine Technical Services department and our Business Partners.
- Develop and lead the safety strategy for the Mine Technical Services department.
- Investigate safety incidents and trends with the aim to improve and to ensure appropriate corrective actions are put in place to limit risk exposure. Maintain Newmont safety systems (Cintellate, Incident reporting procedure).
- Develop and maintain departmental risk registers to ensure all risks are identified and mitigation measures in place. Ensure that all Fatality Risks and Financial Risks for the Mine Technical Services department are well understood, critical controls are in place and verified on a regular basis.
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and support to the UG MTS Leadership team to ensure high performance, to develop successors and to achieve a positive workplace culture that reflects Newmont's values.
- Structure department to achieve strategic objectives.
- Ensure that time, focus and priorities of UG Leaders and MTS department employees are aligned for optimum team performance.
- Provide UG MTS Leaders with Line of Sight to achieve team / site objectives. Communicate strategies and work programs to MTS, SiteLeadership Team and Regional Geology and Technical Service functions.
- Ensure UG MTS staff resources are maximised and that staff members undertake appropriate training and development, so they are skilled to perform allocated duties efficiently.
- Retain and develop key personnel with adequate succession planning in place for all roles.
- Coach leader to implement and monitor performance and individual development plans for all their direct reports. Ensure performance management and individual development plans for all MTS department members are in place and adhered to.
- Ensure that MTS leaders initiate disciplinary action or reward recognition for staff under direct supervision of the MTS department.
- Build and maintain collaborative internal relationships with key departments (GTS, Mining, Processing).
Additional Responsibilities: Operations
Resource and Reserve Management
- Build and maintain formalised relationships with key contractors to effectively manage contracts to maximise safety results, efficiencies, productivity and reduce costs.
- Ensure provision of reliable grade estimation models, ore control monitoring and reconciliations, with the aim of maximising mined ore grade whilst minimising ore loss/dilution.
- Ensure that medium term mine plans and projects for the life of mine are achievable, compliant with internal Newmont and external guidelines, agreed scopes of work, and in line with the strategic objectives of the Company to maintain growth and sustainability.
- Oversee the provision of high quality geotechnical, hydrological, ventilation, operational and planning support to the underground and open pit operations. Ensure robust recommendations regarding geotechnical, processes and outcomes that continue to add value in providing an acceptable risk profile for the business and full achievement of the life of mine potential.
- Oversee development and execution of all operational services sustaining capital projects including Tailings Storage Facility and the SiteWater Management strategy plans and other infrastructure projects.
- Maintain and upkeep of all siteinfrastructure through the Operational Services department.
- Ensure ongoing management of reconciliation systems that monitor resource/reserve estimation quality, reserve parameter inputs such as underbreak and dilution and Business Plan compliance.
- Continually seek to improve the effectiveness of MTS department processes and systems through ongoing evaluation of concepts, methods and procedures.
- Ensure that all MTS department procedures are in alignment with Newmont Technical Standards.
- Liaise with the Resource department with regards to resource modeling and reserves estimation processes to ensure that quoted reserves and resources are in accordance with the quality standards as outlined by the Newmont guidelines and the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) reporting requirements.
- Implement strategies which ensure conversion of Inventory, Resource and Reserve at conversion rates meeting mine depletion or higher.
- Ensure recognition of opportunities to grow the resource base through identifying, reviewing and implementing site strategic priorities relating to exploration and resource definition projects and studies for open pits and underground.
- Act as site lead for Reserve and Resource Competent Persons, ensuring compliance with Newmont Standards and responsibility for internal communication of Reserves and Resources, reporting and facilitation of external audits as required.
- Guide and contribute to continuous improvement of reconciliation procedures.
- Ensure suitable and adequate data management procedures are in place to ensure timely and accurate collation of geological data which in turn, ensures ore resource integrity and quality.
- Liaise with resource geology staff to implement and monitor quality assurance programs to ensure accurate records are maintained for all resource evaluation activities.
Additional Responsibilities: Planning, Reporting and Financial Management
Compliance and Social Responsibility
- Review and report on the activities of the Mine Technical Services department to ensure adherence to plan, and the timely and accurate provision of information to the General Manager and key stakeholders.
- Ensure that Departmental strategic plans and operating, capita and staff budgets are developed, implemented and executed in the most cost-effective manner and are in line with site strategic objectives.
- Responsible for preparation of Operating and Capital budgets for Mine Technical Services, monitoring of budget variances and control costs within area of responsibility to ensure compliance with budget and forecasts.
- Ensure processes and systems are in place for the MTS department to comply with the Newmont Investment process.
- Maintain and improve the Mine Technical Services Management Operating System (MOS) to ensure that clearly defined processes are functional and maintained to manage risks and opportunities.
Site Leadership Team
- Comply with all regulatory and statutory requirements, minimising risk exposure and liability.
- Manage and adhere to contracts and Social Responsibility agreements.
- Lead IMS compliance for the MTS department.
- Attend and actively participate in daily, weekly and monthly departmental meetings.
- Actively participate in workplace inspection programs.
- Present safety, production and operational initiatives at toolbox meetings.
- Support other departmental members in achieving their goals.
- Lead by example in terms of professional conduct, positive attitudes and dedication to all Geology business improvement initiatives.
- Attend and actively participate in daily, weekly and monthly Managers Meetings.
- Contribute to strategic planning sessions.
- Actively participate in site Leadership Teamwork place inspection programs.
- Provide Mine Technical Services direction and technical reference for the General Manager and Leadership Team.
- Present site and corporate workplace initiatives at toolbox meetings.
- Support other Departmental Managers in achieving their goals.
- Lead by example in terms of professional conduct, positive attitudes and dedication to all site business improvement initiatives.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist: Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor's degree in Geology and/or Mine Engineering at a recognised tertiary institution.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of key Engineering / Geological / and Geotechnical principles for large scale underground projects and open pit mining.
- Familiarity and experience of the Ghanaian mining industry and associated mining regulations.
- Minimum of 15 years operational experience within several different mining operations and with a minimum of 5 years experiencein both exploration and production geology, and 5 years experiencein a senior management role, preferably in underground large tonnage gold operations and open pits.
- Ability to build an environment that fosters 'living safely' and Fatality Risk Management as core values.
- Drive project(s) strategy through effective strategic and business planning.
- Ability to assess current execution capability, recommend appropriate improvements and establish metrics.
- Business acumen to make the right business decision for Newmont and for operations.
- Identify, build and maintain trust, credibility and relationships with stakeholders.
- Create and communicate a compelling vision for the future and inspires the project/organization to act.
- A proven track record in leading projects from discovery to reserve declaration.
- Proficient in Statutory and compliance reporting for internal and external stakeholders and meet Competent Person requirements for resource and reserve statements.
- Strategic thinker with exposure to strategic business planning processes.
- Experience in the development of management operating systems that demonstrates the ability to successfully integrate technical services and operational requirements.
- Strong leadership and personal communication skills including the ability to develop, coach, mentor and influence other people.
- Experience in the preparation of strategic plans, budgets and cost management.
- Demonstrate ability to diagnose problems and identify potential solutions by thinking outside of the box to deliver alternative outcomes.
- Exposure to Continuous / Business Improvement Systems.
- Toughness and self-discipline to hold him/herself and others accountable for meeting goals.
- Adhereto a core set of values and beliefs, demonstratehigh integrity and ethics,buildtrust and inspireothers.
- Courage to make tough decisions, even under pressure and stick with them. Decisions made with a long-term sustainable development view.
- Ownership mindset to actively manage opportunities, threats, risks; and ensure financial responsibility while protecting the reputation of Newmont.
- Mature self-confidence to engage at all levels of the organization, to meet and influence government and community leaders, and to engage at the highest levels of partner organizations.
- Seasoned judgment and intellect that can grasp the implications for Newmont on business trends and social events.
- Establish a climate where differences are valued and respected. Role model for inclusive behaviors. Sensitive and receptive to other cultures.
- Personal maturity to enable others to succeed, confidence to wait for long-term results and to withstand personal criticism.
- Foster an open and honest environment of speaking up.
- Position is located on a project site environment.
- Position will be required to travel to and assist other domestic and international sites.
- Position will also require travel to various offices /facilities of the project stakeholders and contractors (EPC(M), Suppliers, Government etc.)
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.