Mission for this Position About Us
At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world's most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Reporting to the Mobile Maintenance Manager, the Mobile Maintenance Superintendent will ensure safe execution of all tasks are performed by providing strong direction and guidance to all members of the Mobile Maintenance Department along with their business support contractors. An expert organizing planned and unplanned maintenance activities, this position will ensure accurate maintenance plans, equipment health reporting, and quality task execution is achieved while driving continuous improvement and value generating initiatives to completion. Main Accountabilities
- Perform and ensure subordinates perform required safety interactions and review field level risk assessments with employees before task commencement. Lead Job Hazard Analysis when required to ensure risks are identified and controlled. Track, Audit and report compliance and implement corrective action to ensure compliance.
- Manage and track completion of departmental hazards/risks, incident reports, corrective actions and ensure compliance to completion forecasted deadlines.
- Participate in daily safety tool box talks, hold periodic safety meetings, perform routine and statutory safety inspections, root cause analysis and planned task observations as required.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and adherence to safe work procedures/instructions and to promote safety, health and environmental awareness and compliance. Perform QA/QC assessments to identify gaps and implement control measures for correction of all deviations to procedures and standards and ensure/verify sustainability of corrections.
- Ensure Subordinates Monitor and ensure all employee's competency for assigned tasks, ensuring they are following the appropriate procedures/instructions/manuals, and are performed without incident, in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Investigate task non‐conformances/compliances thoroughly and administer corrective actions up to and including disciplinary action when required, in conjunction with management.
- Heavily involved in the recruitment process as well as monitoring and adhering to budgeted labor force levels. Take action to ensure levels are supported. Report, track and approve employee and contractor hours while also maintaining records of hours worked under the department's direction.
- Use SAP software system effectively to properly document work performed, order parts, check inventory, enter Purchase Requisitions, monitor equipment history, execute approvals, and perform any other associated SAP related tasks required to operate effectively.
- Monitor all Maintenance equipment and infrastructure condition and ensure preventative maintenance is performed properly. Ensure areas requiring improvement, repair, or correction are repaired efficiently while ensuring compliance to all applicable standards.
- Ensure compliance to planned mobile equipment preventive maintenance schedules. Manage equipment backlog and track all work performed by employees and contractors under your direction to properly document task completion.
- Ensure the department performs pre PM/intervention inspections of equipment being repaired and performs pre‐release inspections on equipment with completed interventions to ensure safe and reliable operating condition. Ensure all safety and fire prevention systems on all equipment are operating correctly at all times and are operating as designed. Take action to have any deficiencies corrected immediately.
- Lead, Mentor and Communicate effectively with the Maintenance Planning group to ensure maximum interdepartmental cooperative efforts are achieved to complete task progression, parts preparation requirements, task duration, schedule information and accurate equipment task information. Ensure rebuild scopes are accurate and monitor performance to plans. Ensure plan deviations or deficiencies are communicated interdepartmentally including specifics pertaining to the causes. Record and implement corrective measures to achieve desired plan results.
- Understand and participate in the development and execution on all aspects of the operational, project and capital budgets to ensure departmental adherence. Track and ensure compliance to budget is maintained.
- Ensure urgent breakdown repairs are properly reported and attended to adequately in the shop or field, in a timely manner by employees or contractors under their direction. Verify required parts and place orders and communicate breakdowns to the team. Ensure compliance to equipment availability targets.
- Department interface to ensure communication and cooperation between the mobile maintenance department, all contractors and all other departments within the operation. Complete reports and perform record keeping as required, ensuring accuracy of reported data.
- Identify opportunities for the continuous improvement of maintenance processes and systems. Action improvements under direct control and escalate those outside of control.
- Maintain and ensure proper data input and update equipment performance tracking systems accordingly. Monitor all equipment availabilities and performance. Identify areas of concern, action corrective measures and prioritize workforce accordingly to achieve budgeted requirements.
- Superintendents work day shift covering continuous operations. Shifts can vary as required. Superintendents must ensure effective communication with all subordinates, especially during shift and rotational changes.
- Interprovincial Red Seal Certification of Competency in a field related to mobile equipment maintenance required
- 10 or more years of mobile maintenance management experience with a minimum of 3 or more years in a
Mobile Maintenance Superintendent role in an open pit mining environment
- Post‐ Secondary education (College or University) along with a minimum of an interprovincial Red Seal
Certification of Competency in a relevant field for equipment maintenance.
- Previous experience working in a remote Arctic operation with camp accommodations.
- Advanced SAP maintenance systems expertise and efficiency coupled with Advance Microsoft Office
software expertise highly advantageous.
- Previous experience working with employees of all competency levels including developing individuals with
minimal experience at apprenticeship levels to Senior Maintenance levels organizing and performing
maintenance in a mining environment in a remote camp setting.
- Experience mentoring, providing solid direction and safety leadership to all employees and contractors
under their direction in harsh arctic field environments and in the workshops.
- Welding and fabrication experience required with an emphasis on equipment maintenance, structural
fabrication, and ground engaging tool maintenance best practices as well as procedure development and
compliance. Previous CWB and CSA W47.1 Welding Standards experience and hold a valid CWB supervisor
- Valid Nunavut WSCC Supervisor and First Aid Certificates
- Extensive experience performing, Supervising and Managing the Maintenance being performed on the
o Atlas Copco PV271 & D65 drills
o Cat 6030 face shovel
o Cat MD6290 drills
o Cat 793F and 777G trucks
o Cat 14M/16H/16M Motorgraders
o Cat D6/D9T/D10T Track Type tractors
o Cat 390D/320D/345D Excavators
o Cat 994K/992K/988H/950/930 Wheel loaders
o Cat 740B Articulated trucks
o Sandvik DX800 drills
o Lube trucks, Skid steers, Telehandlers, Forklifts, Cranes and other ancillary equipment
o Terex/Grove Cranes of various models
o Western Star 6900XD Tractors with B‐Train trailers, Kenworth Tractor
- Valid Canadian Driver's license to operate vehicles in Nunavut