ENVIRONMENTAL AND COMMUNITY COORDINATOR
Position: Environmental and Community Coordinator
Location: Cooks Brook, Nova Scotia, Canada
ScoZinc Mining Ltd. (“ScoZinc” or the “Company”) is an established Canadian exploration and development company that has full ownership of the Scotia Mine and related facilities near Halifax, Nova Scotia. ScoZinc also holds several prospective exploration licenses nearby its Scotia Mine and in surrounding regions of Nova Scotia. The Scotia Mine is currently on care and maintenance; however the Company intends to re-start operations as soon as possible. The Company’s common shares are traded on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol “SZM”.
Headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Company is looking to build on and enhance their environment and community relations function. The Environmental and Community Coordinator (the “Coordinator”) will work with and under the direction of the Manager of Environment and Community to i) to employ and direct appropriate resources to undertake a highly productive, efficient and cost-effective system of environmental monitoring and compliance, and community engagement, and ii) to achieve the annual operation targets, safely and within budgeted costs.
- Monitor actual versus expected environmental performance outcomes on a daily basis.
- Deliver expected standards and maintain management systems on site to support the business.
- Consistently deliver planned levels of performance in environmental and community-related activities.
- Engage in effective utilization, maintenance & protection of site assets.
- Act as representative, when relevant, and act in the company’s best interest in dealings with Contractors, the Federal and Provincial Government, Landowners, and the Community.
- Implementation of all functions with respect to:
- All Environment aspects on the mine site;
- All Community aspects related to the Scotia Mine and the Company’s assets;
- The operation of:
- Environmental data collection and compliance monitoring;
- Data reporting systems;
- Water management & drainage implementation and compliance;
- Wildlife management systems;
- Reclamation planning and implementation;
- Development of documentation to support permit / approval applications processes.
- Environmental and Community-engagement systems during commissioning and production.
- Provide positive advice and support to the head of department or business unit.
- Bring energy to the coordination and activities of the department or business unit – within an operation or division (including team development and professional development of team members).
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with external stakeholders.
- Provide analysis to support department or business unit improvements.
- Work with head or department or business unit to predict operational requirements to meet future expectations within Life of Mine processes.
- Active role in day-to-day operations, and short-term planning.
- Pre-planning workplace inspection as requirement before developing any work plan.
- Provide support to facilitate operational compliance with both organizational and government standards, regulations through:
- Participation in Audit processes; and
- Continual monitoring and review to engage in operational practices that are both legal and ethical.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- A minimum of 5 years employment experience in the environmental sector.
- A minimum of 2 years employment experience in position related to environmental compliance and monitoring in the resources sector.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in roles requiring direct public engagement.
- A minimum of 1 year of employment experience conducting surface water and groundwater monitoring in the resources sector.
- A minimum of 1 year of employment experience with exposure to permitting and the development of documentation to support permitting in the resources sector.
- Experience with working alone in an outdoor environment for extended periods.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including extensive experience with Microsoft Excel
- Experience in the use of GIS software would be a definite asset.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute and work effectively in a group as a team leader
- Provides current, direct, complete and actionable positive and corrective feedback to others in a prompt and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication and reporting skills.
- Time management expertise.
- Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships within the Mill department based on respect and trust
- BSc in Biology, Environmental Science, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Position will be based at the Scotia Mine.
This is a full-time position with a competitive compensation and benefits package.
If you would like to join our team, please click "apply now" to email a resume or send a resume and cover letter in a single PDF document, to:
Scotia Mine - ScoZinc Limited
#15601 Highway 224, Cooks Brook
1959 Upper Water Street, Suite 1301
Nova Scotia, B0N 1Y0, Canada
We sincerely thank all applicants who express an interest in this role: only those being directly considered will be contacted.