Trafigura Group has an immediate need for a qualified Rock Mechanic at its Myra Falls Mine on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Reporting to the Senior Mine Engineer, the Rock Mechanic plays a key role in supporting the development of underground mine plans. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and offer a very comprehensive compensation and benefits package. More specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Make Myra Falls Mine your next career choice!
- Complete regular inspections of the underground work areas to assess conditions. Adjust support designs as required to match actual ground conditions.
- Provide geotechnical input into the sequencing and design of excavations and ground support.
- Complete quality control checks of ground support installations
- Maintain the geotechnical model for the mine, evaluate the induced mining stresses, determine unfavorable geological structure data, and determine the rock mass quality
- Complete geotechnical mapping and core logging as necessary to keep the geotechnical model current
- Carry out geotechnical data analyses from the data collected to better understand the rock mass characteristics.
- Manage the installation, reading and interpretation of monitoring equipment
- Carry out scheduled quality control and quality assurance, pull testing, inspection and observations of the installation of the ground support.
- Provide oversight to external consultants working on ground control studies
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mine, Civil, or Geological Engineering
- Experience in underground hard rock mining considered an asset
- Experience with mine planning/geotechnical modeling software (Deswik,Map3d,Rocscience)
- Consent to a pre-employment medical examination that includes a drug & alcohol screen.
Myra Falls Mine is an underground mine operation located 90 km southwest of Campbell River, BC in the picturesque surroundings of Strathcona Provincial Park. Surrounded by mountains and lakes, the trip to the mine has some of the world’s most impressive views. This is an onsite position and daily travel between the Campbell River/Courtenay area and the mine site is required. Bus transportation is provided. Relocation assistance to the Campbell River area may be available. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Interested candidates should send their resumes to Myrafalls.Careers@myrafallsmine.com. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, we are only able to contact those who have been shortlisted.