is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world's largest publicly traded copper producers, the world's largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Under general supervision, supervise, coordinate, and assess the effectiveness of health and safety programs/policies, and in-field activities through supervision of personnel and/or projects. Leads processes in the Health & Safety Management System, including incident investigations and hazard assessments to ensure compliance with government laws and regulations, and company policies.
- Audits processes and facilities within area(s) of responsibility to ensure the Health and Safety Management System (HSMS) is in compliance and conforms not only to Freeport-McMoRan Corporate requirements, but with all applicable local, state, federal, and business requirements.
- Provides safety input for production and maintenance planning.
- Conducts and leads hazard evaluations, risk assessments and initiates corrective actions and controls for correction. Mentors H&S staff in this process. Completes incident investigations, determines risk levels, and manages complex root cause analysis.
- Manages projects and may directly supervise front-line or other safety personnel.
- Manages MSHA/OSHA/State Mine Inspector visits, evaluates filed activities, addresses potential violations with inspectors, and ensures documentation of all potential violations are completed as required.
- Inspects work areas and address identified non-conformities to ensure safe work requirements are attained.
- Applies knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, statues, regulations, rules, policies and procedures to support Safe Production.
- Presents health & safety related information and possesses intermediate knowledge of site processes in order to respond to questions or concerns from employees, managers, and other stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Leading or supervising personnel and/or projects, AND
- High School diploma or GED and seven (7) years of experience in Health & Safety or related, OR
- Associates degree and five (5) years of experience in Health & Safety or related, OR
- Bachelor's degree and three (3) years of experience in Health & Safety or related, OR
- Master's degree and one (1) year of experience in Health & Safety or related.
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to fifty (50) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose "motor vehicles" includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/DisabilityJob Segment:
Safety, Electrical, Inspector, Service, Engineering, Quality