E & I Technical Officer Utilities Maintenance
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join an encouraging leadership group, committed to your growth and development
- Unique Role at Yarwun Alumina Refinery
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals group that focuses on finding, mining, processing and marketing the earth's mineral resources. We have been in business for more than 140 years and remain focused on the long term. We're committed to sustainable and innovative ways to do business, deliver results and build a great work environment. It's how we grow - it's how you grow.
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It's a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it's this contribution that makes for a great organisation and fulfilling career.About the roleAll progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a E & I Technical Officer
within our Utilities Maintenance team at our Yarwun refinery. This is a great opportunity for a candidate who is looking for growth and development and is passionate about safety, team work, and continuous improvement to the way we operate.
As the E&I Technical Officer you will apply your technical expertise, whilst servicing the technical gap across the Utilities area. The Utilities area is made up of 4 x gas fired calciners, 3 x coal and gas fired boilers, 160MW gas fired turbine/generator (Alstom GT13E2) and HRSG, site gas pipeline infrastructure and the site power supply and distribution network.
This is a unique opportunity for a motivated individual, who has a strong background and solid understanding of the complexities of Calciners, Boilers and Gas and Power Systems Networks. Reporting to the Utilities Maintenance Superintendent, you will join an experienced team and be responsible for:
What you will bring
- Provide technical support for the Utilities E&I Maintenance and Power Systems teams
- Provide technical support to the shutdown execution teams
- Identify and deliver small to medium projects for area asset reliability and safety improvement
- Optimise maintenance system master data
- Support the Utilities Maintenance Specialist with outage co-ordination, planning and day to day activities
- Complete scope reviews for shutdown activities
- Prepare shutdown work packs ready for execution
- Review asset reliability performance and recommend improvements
- Lead incident investigations and incident management.
- Improve work quality through documentation review
- Scope tasks ready for execution
- Coach and share technical experience
- An Australian 'A' grade Electrical licence.
- Certificate III in Electro Technology
- Certificate III in Instrumentation and demonstrated experience
- EEHA Certification and demonstrated experience
- Current and valid driver's licence
- HV switching qualifications and demonstrated experience
- Proven experience working in heavy industry ideally within the Alumina, Gas or Power Generation industry.
- Demonstrated effective communication and team collaboration
- Skilled in detailed fault finding on complex electrical and instrumentation systems
- Ability to make sound judgments to ensure plant integrity is maintained at all times
- Influencing skills to negotiate positive outcomes
- Sound computer skills and understanding of SAP
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- A commitment to continuous improvement by identifying process and cost saving initiatives
What we offer
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of maintaining and operating electrical power system networks including but not limited to:
- High Voltage switching activities
- Testing and maintaining HV primary plant including power transformers
- Secondary systems testing (Protection) and fault finding
- Preparing testing documentation and test plans
- Completed or working towards completing an Associate Degree or equivalent in the E & I Discipline.
About Rio Tinto
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP)
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matters
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium the world's first to be certified "responsible" helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.Rio Tinto Aluminium Yarwun Operations
With production beginning in 2004 at our Yarwun alumina refinery, located approximately 10 kilometres north-west of Gladstone in Central Queensland, today the operation produces more than three million tonnes of alumina per year.
Around 700 people support the operation, with an additional 350 contractors on site each year as part of scheduled maintenance shutdown activities. Thanks to its 'Industry 4.0' focus, Yarwun is also a leader in trialling new technologies to improve operations on site, including 3D printing, robotics and drones in confined spaces, and is home to Rio Tinto's innovative Queensland Research and Development Centre (QRDC).
Along with Boyne Smelters Limited and Queensland Alumina Limited, our Yarwun Operation supports the local community in a wide range of initiatives through Here for Gladstone.Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Closing date 30th January 2022
"Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove job postings prior to the stated closing date, therefore, if you are interested in applying for this vacancy please submit your application as soon as possible."