Senior Industrial Hygiene Specialist
- Provide Hygiene advice and leadership
- Work in a diverse and collaborative team environment / I Band
About the role
We are looking for an Sr. Industrial Hygiene Specialist to manage the industrial hygiene program at Rio Tinto Borates and Lithium, Californian operations in the Health, Safety & Environment team.
Flexible work arrangements including either a 9/80 or 4/10's
This role is a great opportunity to manage end to end hygiene risks across Rio Tinto's Californian operations. Key objectives:
· Anticipating, recognizing, evaluating, controlling and communicating workplace health risks. Health risks include, but not limited to, contaminants/chemical (Silica, Asbestos, Lead, Chromium VI, Boron, Zinc oxide, Arsenic, Lithium, Diesel Particulate Matter, , etc.), physical (ergonomics, vibration, thermal, noise, lighting, ventilation, etc.), and biological (Legionella, mold, pests, biohazards, etc.).
· Ensures compliance with statutory requirements, company policies and best practices
· Provides technical expertise and support to the Health Superintendent to ensure compliance to RT health standards.
· Assistance with the preparation and planning for HS&E audits (both internal and external)
· Support department teams to identify and address health and hygiene exposures
· Provides MSHA occupational health training to new and existing employees.
· Educates and coaches leaders to better understand their workers' health riskprofiles
· Completion of the annual monitoring plan, review and collation of monitoring results
· Work with Health Superintendent and Health Area of Expertise to effectively manage the health risk profile and deliver Rio Tinto objectives.
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
· Bachelors degree in Industrial Hygiene.
· 5 + years' prior work experience in an industrial hygiene role, in mining or similar Heavy Industry advantageous.
· strong data analysis, data quality check, and procedure review skills.
· Experience utilizing incident investigations and risk assessment techniques
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present to all levels and audiences.
· Excellent computer skills, knowledge of MS Office, Excel, MS Project etc.
· Strong organizational skills
· strong interpersonal skills
· Valid Driver's License
It will also be beneficial if you have:
· Experience using Cority Software
· Registered Occupational Hygienist or Certified Industrial Hygienist
· Radiation Safety Officer qualification
Where you will be working
This role is located in Boron, CA. Rio Tinto Borates is a global leader in industrial mineral supply and science. We provide 30 per cent of the world's supply of refined borates, remarkable minerals that are essential to life and to modern living.
Also known for its 20 Mule Team Borax brand, Rio Tinto Borates traces its roots to California's Death Valley, where borate deposits were discovered in 1872.
The twenty-mule teams Borax used to haul ore out of the remote desert live on as a symbol of our commitment to innovation. Rio Tinto Borates distinguishes itself through world-class safety, environmental and community practices, and a commitment to constant innovation and improvement.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We've developed some of the world's largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You'll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It's a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it's this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.