Mission for this Position
At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world's most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Reporting to the Manager, Maintenance & Planning, the, Deputy Manager, Maintenance & Planning is responsible for providing oversight and direction for the maintenance department, the development of the maintenance plans and schedules for the mobile equipment fleet and the fixed plant assets. The position collaborates with key stakeholders in maintenance execution, operations, continuous improvement/reliability and supply chain to ensure optimization and alignment of maintenance, planning and schedule processes and procedures to meet equipment availability targets. The position will provide leadership to the maintenance & planning teams; superintendents, coordinators, supervisor, planners and schedulers to ensure maintenance labour, tooling and materials are planned and completed.
• Assist in lead the maintenance, planning and scheduling team within the Maintenance organization to provide short and long range planning and execution for both mobile and fixed assets;
• Assist in the development and maintaining of maintenance, planning and scheduling procedures and processes that align with operational targets to optimize the availability and reliability of all mobile and fixed equipment;
• Facilitate respectful and cooperative interdepartmental communications as part of the Senior Management Team;
• Ensure compliance with Company policies and procedures;
• Create, maintain, train and audit work flows to deliver value through an optimized maintenance schedule and material accuracy;
• Establish and report out on leading and lagging KPI's related to maintenance planning and scheduling in an accurate and timely manner;
• Promote and implement continuous improvement actions in all aspects of Maintenance, Planning and scheduling;
• Assist in the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets for maintenance, planning and scheduling;
• Develop and sustain good inter-departmental relationships;
• Participate in Leadership in the Field to maintain site wide operational awareness;
• Demonstrate and ensure all employees adhere to the expectations and principles of the company's values;
• Ensure the effective utilization of the CMMS system for planning, material acquisition and scheduling of maintenance work to increase uptime of equipment
• Use a process-, fact, and data-centric approach to identify areas of inefficiency and ineffectiveness in both daily and long-term maintenance planning and partner with key stakeholders (maintenance execution, operations, reliability and supply chain, etc.) to address and capitalize on opportunities to maximize resource utilization and minimize costs;
• Provide opportunities for training and development of the maintenance planning team;
• Ensures planned work activities include all applicable safety documentation and instructions to facilitate the safe execution of the work;
• Provides oversight of the integration of all the SAP functionality into the planning of weekly, monthly yearly and long term plans. Priority given on planned work based on OEM maintenance practices. Coordinate planning activities required for preventive, corrective, and predictive maintenance tasks.
• Drive the Work Order life cycle from Work Request to Work order completion. (Validation, Estimation, Work Packages, Scheduling, Execution, Completion, Data entries, closing).
• Develop budgets for scheduled and planned work and Implement forecasting in SAP as a budgeting and forecasting tool for monthly and annual planning.
• Ensure Parts BOMs are developed for all planned and repetitive work and promote the development of effective work instructions (SOPs) for addition to SAP.
• Assist in managing a mix of processes, technology, funds, and people to balance 1-year result requirements with 1 to 5-year improvement milestones
College Diploma and/or Trade or technical diploma
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical)
5+ years of experience of equipment planning/scheduling
7+ years of progressive leadership experience
10 years experience with surface mobile and fixed mining equipment
Red Seal Certifed tradesman
Certification or advanced training in maintenance planning
Advanced experience with computerized maintenance systems, SAP experience
Proficient knowledge of MS Office, including Project
Professional Shift Boss or Supervisor Ticket in Nunavut (or with the capability to register)