January 28, 2022
Teck Alaska Incorporated, Red Dog Operations, one of the world's largest producers of zinc concentrate, is recruiting for a Powerhouse Operator/Mechanic Journeyperson
Rotation schedule will be 2 weeks on-site with 2 weeks off-site
Reporting to the Powerhouse Supervisor. Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Operate and maintains the powerhouse, Consisting of 8 ea. Wartsila VASA 32-V16 engines, performs diesel engine repairs and maintenance as well as operates and maintains powerhouse auxiliary and support systems; cleans, lubricates parts, equipment and machinery as needed
- Disassemble machinery and equipment to remove parts and make repairs; repair, replace, adjust, align components of machinery and equipment
- Troubleshoot equipment and examines parts for defects such as breakage or excessive wear; utilize hand tools, instruments and hydraulic tools to complete repairs and maintenance
- Ensure all tools and equipment are maintained and kept in a clean and orderly condition
- Maintain current knowledge of diesel engines, turbochargers, fuel systems pumps and injectors, lube system pumps and filtration, cooling water system, combustion charge air system
- Respond appropriately to abnormal control board readings (including gauges, digital read-outs for engine conditions), alarms sounding and correctly interpreting alarms indicated and reacting to the problem to ensure a constant supply of electrical power
- Interact with a variety of employees on the property such as operators, engineering, trades and operating supervision on methods, procedures and hazards in order to coordinate the services of other trades and service personnel in the planning of their portion of the job; tests, evaluates and observes operation of machinery and equipment to diagnose cause of malfunction
- Maintain an accurate record of repairs and maintenance performed; tracks and places orders and requisition for parts and materials needed to complete job effectively; completes daily paperwork for engine data and performance
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of environmental risks and hazards as well as complies with safety policies and procedures (MSHA and Red Dog EMS training) and ensures daily workplace inspections are done in order to accurately identify and correct workplace hazards
- Ensure compliance with all established policies and standard operating procedures and advises coworkers and visitors of such policies and procedures as required
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in operating and maintaining a power plant is required
- The ability to read and understand operations and maintenance manuals is required
- Knowledge and maintenance experience of diesel engines, plate type heat exchangers, pumps, piping systems, radiators, air handling units, waste heat recovery systems, air compressors, and selective catalytic reduction systems is required
- Must have the ability to adhere to high safety standards
- Must be able to work day, afternoon, or night shifts as required
- Must be a team player and able to communicate well with others
- Must be highly motivated and have ability to perform tasks with limited direction
- Must be able to work outdoors with a potential exposure to extreme climatic conditions
- Must be able to perform labor intensive work when required
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated againstinfection by COVID-19, subject to an exemption approved by Teck Alaska.
Red Dog is a drug/alcohol free work place and provides competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits program. Employment is conditional upon passing a background check, physical examination and drug/alcohol tests. Excellent benefits including: medical, dental, life, AD&D and long term disability insurance, paid sick leave, vacation days and 401k. Red Dog currently offers a 2x2 (two weeks on & two week off) an even schedule to provide a better work-life balance to our employees.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc, as well as investments in energy assets. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
#LI-SR1 Job Segment:
Hydraulics, Mechanic, Medical, Engineer, Electrical, Engineering, Operations, Healthcare