South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people's lives now and for generations to come. We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. With a focus on growing our base metals exposure, we also have two development options in North America and several partnerships with junior explorers around the world.
Following the acquisition of Arizona Mining, South32 is the new owner of the Hermosa Project, a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in Arizona.
South32's purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people's lives now and for generations to come. We work closely with their host communities to create enduring social and economic value through local employment, infrastructure and facilities development and community investment programs.
The location of this role is the Tucson, Arizona office.The Role
The role is responsible for leading the integrated geotechnical team and developing and overseeing the geotechnical work programs for the successful completion of studies for the Taylor and Clark deposits of the Hermosa project.Accountabilities
Qualifications & Experience
- Develop and oversee the geotechnical work programs for the Hermosa Project's Taylor and Clark Studies, ensuring outputs meet expected schedule and technical quality outcomes.
- Lead and manage geotechnical team, consultants and contractors performing work for the Taylor and Clark Studies.
- Ensure that geotechnical team personnel are properly trained and able to meet the targets/key deliverables of the work programs.
- Build and develop capability of the integrated geotechnical team for the Taylor and Clark Studies.
- Support the development and tracking to annual budgets for geotechnical work programs.
- Work collaboratively with other project teams and external consultants to support the geotechnical and mining portions of Prefeasibility and Feasibility Studies, including mine planning inputs and backfill design.
- Ensure that accurate and professional geotechnical information/advice is clear, precise and delivered in a timely manner to the study managers and site operations teams, and that it is properly implemented.
- Ensure geotechnical and backfill related risks for current and proposed mining areas are analyzed, understood and communicated to key stakeholders.
- Support Site Operations teams when geotechnical expertise and advise is required.
- Collaborate with site-based teams including periodic inspections and audits of key programs and processes.
- Actively participate in the Hermosa Risk Management process.
- Bachelor's degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering, or a closely related field required.
- Must pass Background and Drug Screening.
- First hand site experience dealing with geotechnical instability and failures.
- Expert knowledge of geotechnical methods and ground control plans.
- Good knowledge of narrow vein and long-hole mining techniques.
- Experience in utilizing backfill for ground control including paste fill.
- High learning agility with an ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Collaborate with other technical and operational teams.
- Relationship building skills: demonstrated empathy, emotional intelligence and cross-cultural effectiveness with the ability to achieve consensus and build alignment cooperatively.
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to think strategically, demonstrate good judgment, strong organizational and planning skills required
- Ability to work at the strategic level and in a complex project setting.
- Maintain high standards of professional and ethical conduct
- Strong English language written and oral communication skills.
- Minimum 10 years of operating and/or technical experience in a Geotechnical role (required).
- Experience supervising and managing both the work and continual development of technical staff (required).
- In-depth knowledge of underground mining methods, technology, and best practices (required).
- Practical experience with ground support system design and underground excavation stability analysis (required).
- Practical experience with numerical software and modelling utilized for stress and deformation analysis and for mine design at a skill level sufficient to train others (preferred).
- Practical experience in design of backfill systems and related delivery systems (preferred).
- Team oriented with strong leadership skills and demonstrated commitment to safety and health, and environment excellence along with technical best practices (required).
- Contractor management experience (preferred).
- A proven ability in leading engineering excellence.
- Experience working at a project which has progressed from the study phase, through construction and into commissioning and production.
- Work effectively cross-functionally, cross-culturally and internationally.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We're focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organization, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.Nearest Major Market: