South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people's lives now and for generations to come. We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. With a focus on growing our base metals exposure, we also have two development options in North America and several partnerships with junior explorers around the world.
At South32, Corporate Development is accountable for developing and implementing portfolio strategy. Our Vancouver office supports South32's corporate development activity in the Americas.The Role
The purpose of the position is to act as a steward and business partner for the Contractor Management standard and procedures for the location.
The successful candidate will ensure delivery of Contractor Management operational activities, Contractor Management standards, procedures, systems, processes, and governance and is responsible for supporting the short- and long-term Contractor Management strategies, including the vendor management approach for the location and providing advice to the location's key stakeholders and influencing the management of contractors aligned with the Lead model at South32.Accountabilities
- Lead and demonstrate a commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility, and sustainable development through personal behaviours and leadership.
- Lead, coach, and shape the culture of the Contractor Management team.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Operational and Functional Lead Team members.
- Demonstrate leadership through personal behaviours consistent with South32 Values; Trust, Care, Togetherness, and Excellence and the Code of Business Conduct.
- Create and foster a culture that strives to add and drive value and innovation within Greenfields Exploration.
- Implement improvement initiatives to streamline and leverage key opportunities in contractor management.
- Lead collaborative relationships with the Leadership Team, other General/Operational/Functional Managers, and roles within the Contractor Management System of Work across the operation or function and network within South32.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal communication skills for the purpose of engaging with internal and external stakeholders to influence key business outcomes.
Key shared responsibilities:
Qualifications, Skills, and Experiences
- Deliver on Contractor Management strategy for the Operation or Function, which is aligned with business plan deliverables and KPI's.
- Deliver consistently and effectively on assigned responsibilities.
- Demonstrate and take accountability for tasks, actions, and decisions as they are assigned and required.
- Responsible for supporting implementation of the Contractor Management process and standard for the Greenfields Exploration.
- Develop and proactively support the change, culture, and engagement strategies for Contractor Management, by collaborating with other functions like HSE (Health Safety Environment), Supply and Training.
- Maintain and take personal responsibility for developing in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of Contractors, reducing legal risks, and ensuring regulatory compliance through partnership with Supply function.
- Influence internal and external stakeholders in relation to strategic/tactical/operational decisions around Contractor Management System of Work.
- Proactively participate in the implementation of Contractor Management improvement plans that improve the overall effectiveness of the Operation or Function.
- Takes ownership of the Contractor Management digital technology used and ensures governance processes.
- Take ownership of Phase 3 - Contractor Induction and mobilisation processes for the Operation or Function.
- Take ownership of Phase 6 - Close-out processes for the Operation or Function.
- Provide governance over the Supplier Management Plan process (including Contract Review meetings, Vendor Management processes, Vendor Assessments, HSEQ plans delivery, etc.)
- Supports delivery of KPI's for Contractor Management.
- Develop, maintain and lead effective relationships with Contractor Management Process Owners community, contractors, and other external stakeholders.
- Maintain and support the governance of the appointment and database for stakeholders in the Contractor Management System of Work.
- Maintain and promote the governance of the local contractor management procedures for the Operation or Function.
- Ensures that 1st line verification processes for Contractor Management System of Work for on-and off-contract is executed for the Operation or Function.
- Actively support and deliver on the Contractor Management learning content and ensures delivery of the learning framework for Contractor Management System of Work.
- Support Reporting processes in line with set requirements for Operation or Function.
- Responsible as Contract Owner/SPA to coordinate and manage site wide contracts as allocated and determined by Operation / Function.
- Previous experience in similar role managing compliance, standards, and processes across an Operation/Function.
- Preferable - tertiary qualification in a relevant degree
- Excellent negotiation, influencing and persuasion skills. Able to challenge people, situations, and current thinking effectively and creatively.
- Skilled and credible in advising others on empowering people management.
- Exceptional communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Clear, concise, and influential communication skills.
- Able to provide advice, develop options, analyse risks, make good judgements, and solve problems.
- Experienced in South32 HSE and Risk Management Systems.
- Experience in vendor assessment and due diligence processes when selecting suppliers.
- Experienced in Vendor Management processes to ensure alignment with supply processes.
- Ability to help design processes to improve Contractor Management System of Work effectiveness.
- 5+ years experience working with governance or contract management
- 5+ years experience in a mining or related industry
- Ability to consult and collaborate with others to influence positive outcomes.
- Effective communication skills.
- Build and retain strong relationships with stakeholders and team.
- Ethical practice and behaviours always.
- Expertise and deep knowledge of the Contractor Management process and standard.
- Ability to deliver on critical evaluation of risk.
- Provide stewardship, coaching and support to others that enables their success.
- Quality orientated with skills to operate digital technology systems.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We're focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.