Civil / Geotechnical Engineer Rail Engineering - Perth
About the role
- Be a part of our high performing Rail Engineering team
- Opportunities for learning and growth with a structured career development framework
- Build a rich and rewarding career with a global organisation
Rio Tinto's Rail Engineering division has an open opportunity for a Civil / Geotechnical Engineer
based in Perth at the Central Park office. Your role within this critical area of the business, will be to provide technical advice and support across rail civil assets throughout their full lifecycle to be safe, predictable and consistent in alignment with the Engineering Management Framework.
This unique role is a great opportunity to be an integral part of a small and vibrant track and civil team, whilst developing your own areas of expertise within the broader Rail Engineering
Based in Perth and reporting to the Specialist Engineer Civil, you will be responsible for but not limited to the following tasks with a primary focus on cutting, embankment and access road assets:
- Review and update of Rail Engineering Civil Standards and Procedures as a technical authority
- Provide subject matter expert (SME) support to Rail Maintenance & Renewals teams, project teams and others
- Involved in whole-of-life plans for civil assets working alongside the asset management team
- Advising on risks controlled by Competencies, Standards & Procedures, and checking of controls through Auditing
- Leading governance and compliance to Rail Engineering standards and Procedures through reviews and audits
- Actively promote safety awareness and safe work practices and compliance with safety management plans
- Coaching on civil engineering principles and practices to the wider Railways Division
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Tertiary qualification in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering
- Practical experience in the following areas:
- Cutting, embankment and road design and/or remediation
- Slope hazard management
- Slope stability
- Geotechnical design and investigations
- An ability to convert technical knowledge into practical instruction
Where you will be working
- Working knowledge of asset management principles
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Understanding of project management principles
- A current manual 'C' class drivers licence
Our privately owned and operated rail network is an essential part of our integrated production process and services our 15 mines across the Pilbara via 1,700km of track. With depots located at Tom Price, Cape Lambert and Dampier (7 Mile), each train comprises up to three locomotives and 240 ore cars stretching to approximately 2.7 kilometres in length with over 40 trains operating per day. We are also applying and adapting technology to improve safety and productivity across our rail network.This role is based in Perth at our Central Park building with ad-hoc travel to the operating sites as required.What's on offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with an annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
We operate over 200 locomotives on more than 1,700 kilometres of track in the Pilbara, transporting ore from 16 mines to four port terminals. The average return distance of these trains is about 800 kilometres with the average journey cycle, including loading and dumping, taking approximately 40 hours.
Our network is the largest privately owned and operated heavy haul rail system in Australia, and as we focus on the future, our vision is to become the greatest heavy haul railway in the world.
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium the world's first to be certified "responsible" helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life. Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions. This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia. Rio Tinto may offer Fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable.
If you would like to know more about careers at Rio Tinto, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join us on LinkedIn