Mining Engineer Long-Range Mine Planner
About the roleAll progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Contribute to the success of Rio Tinto by applying your technical and professional expertise
- Based in the beautiful outdoor and family-oriented community of Labrador City, NL
We are looking for a Mining Engineer Long-Range Mine Planner to be involved in a number of functions within the mine planning team including, budgetary, 5-year, and life-of-mine schedules, as well as mine designs, infrastructure planning, and regulatory reporting. The work schedule is Monday to Friday.
This is a great opportunity for an organized and team-oriented individual to be responsible for the efficient design and scheduling to optimize property value.
We are an open, connected global team that includes some of the industry's best and brightest minds. We offer competitive, performance-focused remuneration and a wide range of benefits to reward your contribution. With a global reach, the opportunities to develop and grow your career are broad and exciting.
Reporting to the Senior Long-Range Mine Planner and working in an interesting team within the Iron Ore Company of Canada in Labrador City, NL, you will:
Please note: This is role is based in Labrador City. However, depending on the candidate profile and experience, other work arrangements could be discussed (Montreal based, Remote work with regular site visit...).What you'll bring
- Ensure health, safety, and environment needs are given a top priority in the planning of tasks, including critical risks identification and controls;
- Prepare long-range mine schedules, including budgetary, 5-year, and/or LOM schedules;
- Generate and analyse reconciliations of actual performance to plan and between plans;
- Design pits, dumps, roads and other mine features as required;
- Contribute to reserve and resource reporting as well as regulatory reporting;
- Analyse haulage profile and cycle time;
- Prepare scoping of development projects;
- Plan for infrastructure such as dewatering, power distribution, etc.;
- Be involved in commissioning of engineering studies and management of contractors, consultants and vendors as required;
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives;
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Mining Engineering, or related field
- 2+ years of mine planning experience in an open pit environment
- Strong computer skills including the Microsoft Office Suite
It will also be beneficial if you have:
What we offer
- Registered or are eligible to register with PEGNL (Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland and Labrador)
- Site based mining experience
- Familiarity or experience with mine (open pit) survey techniques, drill & blast design, fleet management, dispatch systems, etc.
- Experience with mine scheduling, including knowledge of suites such as Deswik or Runge
- Knowledge of 3D mine design software, such as Vulcan
- Experience with reserve and resource reporting, including pit optimization and design
- Project management experience
- Supervisory experience
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the world progress.
About Rio Tinto
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts
- Domestic relocation assistance
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium the world's first to be certified "responsible" helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life. Where you'll be working
The Iron Ore Company of Canada (IOC) is a leading Canadian producer of iron ore concentrate and iron ore pellets that serves customers worldwide. The company operates a mine, a concentrator and a pelletizing plant in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as port facilities in Sept-àles, Quebec. It also operates a 418 kilometer railroad that links the mine to the port.Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.