Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont ( www.newmont.com ) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont's core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role
What will you be responsible for?
The Director Underground Mine Engineeringis responsible for providing mine engineering services to meet the business needs in support of existing operations and the study/project pipeline at Newmont.
The role performs sophisticated engineering duties on Operations and Investment Projects with significant business impact to Newmont. The role encompasses a range of engineering and technical activities, involving some or all of the steps from identifying substantial technical problems and opportunities; through devising engineering approaches processes and plans to resolve them; build consistency in processes and procedures between operations; to researching, explaining, acquiring and assembling the resources to implement the plans.
The role will be expected to contribute to the development and implementation of standards, guidelines, and best engineering practices for application to Newmont projects and operations.
In this role you will
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
- Provide transparent and felt leadership in support of health safety & security programs and initiatives,
- Supply or coordinates mine engineering and mine operations support to existing mine sites on an impromptu pull fashion, either personally or by arranging appropriate support from others, as a specialist resource,
- Contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of mine engineering standards, guidelines, and best practice; provide technical feedback grounded in practical knowledge and practices across Newmont's operations and by effectively presenting with applicable site representatives,
- Work with the Geological, Geotechnical, Metallurgical, Geostatistical and S&ER Functional Leads for alignment of process,
- Provide underground mining engineering skills to Project Evaluation and M&A Due Diligence Teams, analyzing information, develop plans and schedules, investigating discrepancies and make recommendations to assist in decisions regarding potential mergers and acquisitions for Newmont,
- Perform Independent and Peer Review of project study stage gate work from Order of Magnitude through to Definitive Feasibility,
- Support of corporate functions including Business Planning - budget reviews, Value Assurance - investment evaluation, Full Potential and Business Improvement exercises,
- Additional responsibilities include mine engineering work as needed with an emphasis on unit costing, mine design & planning, benchmarking, and mine plan and operational optimization.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills, & experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
The minimum requirements for the job are:
- A minimum of 20 years combined mine engineering and operations experience, most at underground operations, including substantial experience in hard rock gold mines,
- A B.Sc. Mining Engineering or equivalent is crucial, an advanced degree is preferred,
- Experience in supervision of mine engineering professional staff and related groups at owner operator mine sites,
- Experience in senior mine management roles, such as Mine Manager,
- Overseas work experience preferred, operations start-up experience in remote location desirable,
- Seasoned knowledge of; mine methods, design, development & production scheduling, equipment selection, reserve estimation, maintenance development and guide systems,
- Detailed knowledge of unit costing methods for budgeting, forecasting, and reserve analysis, knowledge of Xeras is desirable,
- Seasoned experience in project evaluation at all stages from Target ID to Definitive Feasibility, with an emphasis on value and quality analysis,
- Experience in performing M&A due diligence,
- Knowledge of exploration methods, resource estimation,
- High level of competence in the use of mine planning software (preferably Deswik), including efficient techniques and cash flow analysis,
- Ability to build and maintain strong communications network with peers, Project Managers, Mine Managers, Chief Engineers, and JV partner representatives,
- Strong technical writing, group presentation skills, and interpersonal skills including a high degree of cultural sensitivity,
- Recognized as Qualified Person under codes 43-101, JORC and/or Registered Member of SME,
- Bilingual skills, or English as a second language a plus.
Working conditions & location
Where you will be located!
The Director Underground Mine Engineering is based at the Layton office in Denver, Colorado. Performance of the work requires travel (20-50% of work time) to domestic and international operations. Travel can be at a moments' notice to overseas or domestic locations, including Newmont and Non-Newmont locations and Greenfield areas.
The salary range offered for this role is $ 148,160 to 194,460 . The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate's salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company's performance and their own individual performance. This role also will be eligible for participation in a discretionary long-term incentive program, pursuant to which an employee may receive awards based on their level and individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont's sole discretion.
Consistent with Newmont's values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont's workforce and the communities in which we work and live.With the wide availability of vaccines in the United States, if you are offered this position, you will have to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine prior to being hired. This requirement will be subject to an exemption process, as required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion. Nearest Major Market: