Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont ( www.newmont.com ) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont's core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role
What you will be responsible for?
• Supports Exploration function with timely, accurate and consistent ability to measure, modify and communicate planning information and record progress across multiple large database platforms
• Optimize data outputs to be used in rating and ranking of exploration budgets, strategizing future reserve deliveries, benchmarking against past performance, and crafting efficiencies within several disparate databases used by the various exploration functions.
Your role will consist of
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
Exploration Business Planning:
• We work closely with Senior Director Exploration Portfolio & Technical Development, Corporate, Regional, and Site Leadership to support the annual exploration budget rate and rank and the annual post-investment review cycles.
• We maintain Newmont proprietary economic and planning tools to support global rate and rank of exploration targets and forecasting of future ounce deliveries.
• We contribute to mentorship and feedback of Regional and Site Leadership to ensure accurate application of economic parameters to support globally consistent value-based target metrics.
• We develop and maintain comparative exploration benchmarking business metrics to support project analysis and recommendations.
• We work closely with the Manager Exploration Technical Development to identify regional and site training needs aligned with Exploration's annual business plan cycle and build and deliver business acumen and systems training.
• We lead all aspects of the documentation of various business plan scenarios and compilation of a final strategy and business plan document that can be used to inspect targets against actual outcomes.
Exploration Business Systems:
• We work closely with the Operations Technology team, support the design and development of a new solution to replace Exploration's current Exploration Planning Application.
• We conduct regular maintenance and QA/QC of just-in-time dashboards and reporting systems to support alignment with underlying data systems and ensure material and transparent tracking of progress against plan.
• We partner and coordinate with corporate and regional functions to ensure Exploration systems and economic tools alignment with Exploration Business Development, Business Planning and Projects benchmarking.
Exploration Collaboration Systems:
• We closely coordinate with IT Collaboration Systems Team to ensure migration of critical information from legacy SharePoint systems.
• We collaborate with Corporate, Regional and Global Geosciences Group leadership to craft and develop a systematic framework for functional Communication and Collaboration pages.
Exploration People Development:
• We act as a supervisor to participants of Newmont's Corporate Internship program. Arrange mentorship and coaching to ensure participants achieve growth objectives and communicate a positive experience.
• We support communication of Newmont values, objectives and expectations.
• We promote an integrity culture within Exploration.
• We are a champion of Newmont Values.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills and experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
• Minimum of 5+ years in mineral economic analysis, business and/or strategic planning and/or exploration/mine planning.
• Minimum of 5+ years of experience with SAP, BPC, SQL, and business intelligence solutions (i.e., PowerBI and Tableau).
• Degree in Engineering, Geology, Information Technology, Business or a related field with 5+ years of broad industry experience in mining and exploration environments.
• MBA or advanced degree in Finance, Economics and/or Data Analytics preferred.
• In depth knowledge of the resource development life-cycle from grassroots exploration to reserve definition and production.
• Required to synthesize information across various aspects of the business strategy including exploration, technical services, operations, projects, investor relations, business planning, risk, environmental and social, etc.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to apply business, financial and technical acumen to strategic thinking concepts grounded in the resource and commodity space including familiarity with various time horizons and concepts (e.g. Net Present Value, Profitability Margin, Breakeven Analysis, Simulation, etc.).
• Must have financial analysis skills including understanding Income Statements, Balance Sheets, and Cash Flow statements, and how the relationship and representation of these financial statements are translated into an "economic model" as well as the tensions between accounting, tax, treasury and planning relate to investment decisions and KPIs used by the Street for resource & commodity industries such as Production, CAS, Capital, capital structures, NAV, Cash Flow, reserves and resources.
• Experience with presentation of financial, performance and productivity metrics.
• Experience with business requirement gathering and analysis.
• Experience with systems analysis, documentation and specification writing.
Working conditions and location
Where you will be located!
• The position is based at the Corporate office in Denver, Colorado, however, may be open to flexible home location working arrangements; regardless of location, employee will be required to travel to sites in the US, Canada, Mexico, Peru, Suriname, Argentina, Africa, Australia and other international destinations as business needs require.
• Work includes visiting mines, project sites, where conditions may be primitive and/or harsh at times (surface or underground environments, hot to extreme cold, desert or tropical rain forest to tundra conditions).
The salary range offered for this role is $ 100,640 - 132,090 . The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate's salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company's performance and their own individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont's sole discretion.
Consistent with Newmont's values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont's workforce and the communities in which we work and live.With the wide availability of vaccines in the United States, if you are offered this position, you will have to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine prior to being hired. This requirement will be subject to an exemption process, as required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.
Nearest Major Market: Denver