Located approximately 26 miles from the City of Fairbanks, Fort Knox is a centre of excellence for the Company as one of the few cold weather heap leach facilities in the world. In 2016, the site poured its seven millionth ounce of gold, 20 years into its mine life. The initial Gilmore Expansion Project is expected to extend mine life to 2030.
****Fort Knox is NOT a camp mine.****
Perform routine preparation of samples (solutions, carbons, drill holes, etc.) provided by the Mill and Mine departments. Sample preparation includes crushing, splitting, and pulverization. Responsible for logging in samples with a bar-code reader and maintaining proper organization. Perform quality control check on equipment. Perform routine analyses including sample preparation, weighing ore samples, and fire assaying. Participate in lab work assignments in order to safely and efficiently complete fire assay tasks. Responsible for pre-shift inspection of work area and equipment. All work is performed in accordance with instruction given by supervisor, to whom the employee is expected to refer all problems; is expected to carry out assignments free of constant direct supervision.
- Responsible for using lab computers to input blasthole information to organize samples/sample envelopes and maintain sample integrity as well as production data for daily and monthly reports.
- Responsible for employing the most appropriate designed sampling methods to obtain a sample that is representative of the original sample or blasthole.
- Responsible for performing analyses of ore and mill samples by routine fire assay methods.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean work area.
- Responsible for cleaning and performing maintenance tasks on equipment that is within the scope training and abilities.
- Responsible for inputting information into the lab computers and maintaining other documents as needed.
- Recommend procedural changes and process adjustments to meet quality control requirements.
- Perform analyses for special projects submitted by other departments.
- Punctuality and regular attendance are required.
- Compliance with all company policies and procedures including but not limited to safety, confidentiality and environmental policies.
- Work safely in all areas and identify potential safety hazards and work with management to correct them.
- Handle chemicals and reagents in accordance with the procedures and manuals.
- Meet or exceed established performance expectations set by management.
- Possession of a valid driver's license issued by the state.
- Work without significant risk of harm to self and others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred. Employees must have sufficient education to read and write instructions, perform simple mathematical calculations and keep records.
- Strong math and chemistry background preferred.
- Problem solving and analytical ability necessary.
- Previous lab experience preferred but not required.
- Solid verbal and written communication, problem solving, and analytical skills are highly recommended.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Must be available for shift work, overtime, holidays, and weekends.
Reports to Senior Lab Supervisor
Travel not required, only exceptionally
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.