Requisition ID:76221Job Category:
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining , energy , and infrastructure sectors, we see challenges evolving in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff , with experience in over 150 countries , to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Our energy expertise in the oil and gas sector comprises the entire value chain - upstream, midstream, and downstream; and in the power sector includes thermal, nuclear, waterpower, renewable, hybrid, transmission and distribution, and grid modernization. Join our vision of a low-carbon world and help make positive change! Power System Planning Engineer
The position will be based in Winnipeg, Mississauga or Montreal. This is a technical position within the Power Business Unit of Hatch. It provides an opportunity for professional growth to the selected individual within the Power Delivery & Integration (PD&I) department by performing interconnection studies, systems analysis investigations and planning/feasibility studies for clients in North America, primarily, but also globally. The incumbent will also work closely with other Power departments, including the HVDC/FACTS, T&D and the Renewables teams on related studies and with Hatch’s Management Consulting Practice for development of power sector master plans.
The incumbent of this position is required to work within focused study teams and multi-disciplinary teams involved in integrated power system plans, transmission and distribution system plans, pre-feasibility/feasibility/system impact assessment and system performance studies for both ac and dc project developments and generation/load connections. He/she will coordinate all planning activities and those of their teams to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion. The person will perform the duties in accordance with all applicable codes and standards, including all of Hatch’s policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental and Quality Assurance. The incumbent should be familiar with the xxx policies, guidelines, regulations, rules, requirements and criteria as applicable to grid interconnection, performance and planning, especially to bulk power systems. Knowledge and experience of relevant requirements in xxx regions and other jurisdictions will be an added advantage.
Role and responsibilities for this position include:
- Perform or coordinate systems analysis activities including load-flow, short-circuit, transient stability, electromagnetic transient and small-signal stability analysis
- Preparation of functional specifications for facility requirements related to different system development portfolios, for purposes of developing preliminary designs and obtaining estimates for the associated facilities
- Review of planning/system performance studies for compliance with prevailing standards and criteria and good engineering practice
- Preparing comprehensive reports on the conduct of the studies, the study results and appropriate conclusions and recommendations
- Project Management
- Undertake thought leadership activities (e.g. speaker at conference, panelist, whitepaper, etc.) and promote Hatch’s know-how in the Power and T&D sector in the region.
Qualifications for the positions include:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering; preference will be given to candidates with post-graduate (Master or PhD) degrees in Power System Planning
- Registration with applicable engineering association
- Proficient in PSCAD network simulations with a particular focus on the detailed modeling of renewable power sources and carrying out ac and dc studies.
- Proficient with the PSS®E software package, including all modules for load-flow, short-circuit and transient stability analysis. Knowledge of alternative planning software applications, including DSA Tools, PSLF or DigSilent, is optional but desirable
- 3 to 5 years of experience in power system analysis and planning.
- High level of interpersonal communication skills
Reporting to the Senior Director – HVDC and System Studies. Occasional travel to site locations or for customer meetings domestic or international is required.
Why join us?
- Work with great people to make a difference
- Collaborate on exciting projects to develop innovative solutions
- Top employer
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.
[[req_postHashtag]] Job Segment:
Power Systems, Systems Analyst, Facilities, Nuclear Engineering, Thermal Engineering, Energy, Technology, Engineering, Operations