Barr Engineering Co. is seeking a senior air quality consultant to undertake challenging work coordinating air-program compliance projects associated with the development, construction, and operation of varying industries throughout the United States. The person in this position will work with Barr's clients to identify, scope, and manage air-quality permitting and compliance projects, provide technical advice, support and help build and maintain client relationships, and pursue business development opportunities for permitting and compliance service. This position can be served from any of Barr's U.S. locations. Barr may consider a remote working arrangement based on candidate qualifications. Fulfillment of the position responsibilities will require periodic travel.
The person in this position will work on highly collaborative project teams assisting clients with air-quality permitting, environmental regulatory compliance, and related technical assignments. This person will lead project teams in permitting and compliance strategy development; review operational functions and activities to verify that appropriate actions are developed and undertaken to achieve and maintain compliance; and interface frequently with industry representatives, regulatory agencies, and technical and information resource experts.
- Bachelor's degree in chemical, mechanical, or environmental engineering or a related science degree
- 10 years of professional experience working with federal air regulations such as federal PSD/NSR and Title V, NSPS, MACT, NESHAP, and state air construction permitting
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with project team members and clients
- Demonstrated ability to fulfill commitments on schedule and to do what it takes to meet clients' service expectations and requirements
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills, including attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness, as well as a commitment to producing high-quality deliverables
- Effectiveness in building working relationships and working on multidisciplinary project teams
- A flexible working style and willingness to occasionally modify personal schedules as required to meet project deadlines and/or client needs
- Self-initiative and motivation, with an emphasis on client service and cultivating a career in environmental consulting
- Acceptable driving record
- Ability to travel to client locations and other Barr offices
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- Consulting experience
- 15+ years of professional experience working with federal air regulations such as federal PSD/NSR and Title V, NSPS, MACT, NESHAP, and state air construction permitting
- Engineering or scientific knowledge and experience in the power, fuels, mining, and/or manufacturing industries
- Knowledge of and familiarity with federal and state regulatory agency staff, resource managers, and other government officials
- Demonstrated organization and management skills
- Aptitude for developing client relationships and business
- Ability to identify problem symptoms and causes, and develop and evaluate alternative solutions
- Knowledge of and familiarity with regulatory agency staff
- Ability to process complex or rapidly developing information to extract key issues and implications and develop appropriate strategies
NOTE: Some work locations may feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and may also require entering and working within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities.
Colorado Applicants Only:
The anticipated base salary range for this position is $100,000-$125,000/year. Compensation will vary based upon experience, education, skill level, and other compensable factors. Employees in this position may also be eligible for a discretionary cash bonus. Our compensation comes in more ways than traditional base salary, and we believe that when all those elements are combined, our compensation is a competitive part of the total value proposition of working at Barr.
People report that they stay at Barr because of the camaraderie and career opportunities. Another draw is our competitive package of employee benefits, which includes professional development funding, 401(k) retirement savings plan, employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) participation, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, disability and accidental death insurance, flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses, paid holidays, paid time off, and compensatory time for exempt/salaried staff (time off or pay for extra time worked).