Communications and Fiber Technicians
Apply now Job ID:
590467 Job type:
Full Time - Permanent Location:
Who we are
Downer is the leading provider of integrated services in Australia and New Zealand. Through trusted relationships and world leading insight we work closely with our customers to design, build and sustain assets, infrastructure and facilities.
Our Mining, Energy and Industrial division provides engineering and construction, contract mining and asset services to customers in the resources, energy, power generation and industrial sectors. As part of this team, you'll join a group of innovative thinkers who work together to deliver market-leading, safe, cost effective and environmentally friendly outcomes that exceed customer expectations.
Position summary WHO WE ARE
Downer Next Generation Technologies (Downer NGT) helps customers respond and leverage technical innovation to their competitive advantage. Downer has formed the NGT business which delivers state-of-the-art technical solutions and services for Government Agencies, Local Governments, Transport Authorities, Industrial and Resources customers by implementing Ticketing Systems ITS (Intelligent Transport Solutions), Communications Networks, CCTV, Security and Access Control Systems.POSITION SUMMARY:
Due to recently awarded projects in infrastructure, local governments, industrial and mining sectors our workload has significantly increased and we are seeking experienced Communications and Fiber Technicians to join our team on a permanent, full time basis. You will be initially engaged in a full time (40 hours) permanent employment contract with expectation to work over time and night shifts when needed.
You will be responsible for performing skilled fibre optic and communications works in the service/repair, alteration, installation and maintenance of all fibre and communications related systems ie; SMOF-Blown-Cat6 cabling/patching including testing maintaining a preventative maintenance program; and assisting other skilled trades when required.ABOUT THE ROLE:
- Performs service/installation of all aspects associated with Fibre Optic infrastructure.
- Prepare and terminate all types/modes of fibre optic cable including SMOF, MMOF, Blown and OPGW.
- Test and diagnose multiple installations of fibre using both Light Source & Powermeter and OTDR including compiling test results for client submission.
- Ability to work on all types of joints and enclosures, internal and external from 6 - 144 Cores.
- Test, terminate and diagnose Structured cabling installations including compiling test results for client submission.
- Amends, updates and provides new drawings/records as required.
- Coordinates with administration and other trades for the purpose of completing projects/work orders efficiently.
- Informs personnel regarding procedures and/or status of work orders for the purpose of providing necessary information for making decisions, taking appropriate action and/or complying with health and safety regulations.
- Prepares documentation in a variety of written and electronic formats (e.g. daily paperwork/log, time and materials, key and material records, key inventory, etc.) for the purpose of providing written support in compliance with regulations and/or conveying information.
- Requests equipment and supplies for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of required items.
- Responds to emergency situations during or after hours for the purpose of resolving immediate issues.
- Transports a variety of items (e.g. tools, equipment, supplies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
- Assists other trades personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities (i.e. coordination with electricians, security)
- Attends meetings, workshops, training, and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 2+ years of experience as Communications / Fibre Technician preferably in industrial environment
- Previous Security and CCTV systems experience is an advantage
- ACMA Open Cablers Licence with fibre optic and copper endorsements
- High Risk Licences (EWP, working at heights, confined space)
- Security Licence (highly desirable)
- Job security in a permanent full time role
- Attractive hourly rates, over time rates and penalties
- An opportunity to work for a major ASX listed company
- This role offers you an opportunity to work in an agile dynamic environment
- Ability to develop your career within a highly successful and multi-disciplined organisation
Our aim is to create a workplace where people are respected and encouraged to fulfill their potential. We embrace all employee difference and foster a culture that supports diversity and inclusion.HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this great opportunity, please click on "Apply Now" button.
To be considered for these opportunities you must be able to demonstrate that you have full working rights in Australia.WE RESPECTFULLY REQUEST NO RECRUITMENT AGENCY APPROACHES
Downer reserves the right to close this position at any time.