Be a part of the largest mining company in the Americas and one of the largest in the world with operations in more than 30 countries. At Vale, we strive to be the number one global natural resources company in creating long term value, through excellence and passion for people and the planet.
Our Manitoba Operations, with two operating mines, is located in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous and sustainable nickel producer. Manitoba Operations has a strong commitment to zero harm to its employees, the community and the environment, with their mines being awarded the regional and national John T. Ryan award several times in recent years for operating as some of the safest mines in Canada.Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and Vale values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.Vale is seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry. The Opportunity
Do you value safety and risk management and make it a priority just as we do? Are you motivated to work collaboratively in a team environment?
We are currently seeking Project Lead – Project and Shutdown Management
to join our Projects & Shutdown Team
in Thompson, Manitoba.
The role holder will Lead projects ($10-15M annually) assigned by the Superintendent including the management and co-ordination of all activities from FEL 1 studies through AFE approval, execution and handover to the Project Owner. This includes management of detailed engineering design, procurement, project controls (Safety, Scope, Schedule, Quality, Cost), systems, construction support and management services for individual Projects
Although previous experience in mining or an industrial setting is considered an asset, we also appreciate that diversity of thought comes from our differences – and that’s what makes us great!Education & Experience:
\tRequirements & Accountabilities
- Education in an engineering, technical or trades discipline is required. PMP Designation is an asset.\t
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a project management related role
- Execute work using project management framework in a streamlined and effective manner. \t
- Work in partnership with respective operations and support areas (reliability, engineering, environmental, legal, procurement etc.) to ensure efficient and safe execution of scope, schedule, budget and quality. \t
- Execute approved Capital, Operating, and Period projects and shutdowns from FEL 1 through final execution including related commissioning/operational readiness. (12-24 month horizon)\t
- Supervise Vale Employee’s, construction coordination and technical support personnel required to provide project support during project execution\t
- Integrate work execution with Project Engineer(s), Scheduler, and Project Controls Coordinator(s) in line with optimized project and shutdown processes.
- Lead PHRs, JHAs, MOCs, Lift Plans and manage the Project Risk registry as required for the safe execution of the project\t
- Monitor and audit compliance to the safety controls, Project Safety Plan and other Vale Standards\t
- Ensure adequate supervision is provided at all times execution work is occurring. \t
- Monitor and audit External Service Providers’ compliance to Safety Training Requirements (i.e. Norcat, Indoctrinations, ZES, etc.)\t
- Supervise the safe execution of field project work (executed by external or internal resources) as required.\t
- Develop and implement project safety strategies
- Develop and/or coordinate the project charter and the scope of work, work design planning and the execution phase of projects as assigned (Capital, Operating and Planned Maintenance Period)\t
- Create work methodology for Risk Assessments (PHRs or JHAs) \t
- Provide construction coordination for Capital and Operating projects \t
- Coordinate service contractor work \t
- Coordinate internal and external resources required to manage contracts and contractors (i.e. internal resources – with Vale Supervisors; external resources – with contractors) \t
- Coordinate and resolve contract issues with support from peers, Engineering, Contract Management Office, Safety Supervisors and Procurement. \t
- Manage and monitor contractor work approvals, site access, quality, efficiency, qualifications and safety.\t
- Supervise project work (executed by external or internal resources) as required.
\t About Applying:
- Closely work the Scheduler and Project Controls Coordinator in providing working level project schedule on projects to be undertaken, identifying key milestones, resource requirements and completion dates for project and shutdown work.\t
- Take necessary steps on schedule adherence, critical path, slippage and mitigation actions. \t
- Provide updates to Scheduler and Superintendent on additional tasks required (Field Work Instructions-FWI) and Contract Change Orders (CCO) to complete the project, along with impact to schedule and mitigation actions\t
- Provide detailed Work Designs (task, JHA’s, materials) to project scheduler to adequately plan and schedule the work in SAP so that work can be integrated with the site scheduling activities.
- Apply by visiting valejobs.ca or by clicking Apply below.\t
- We appreciate your interest in being a part of the team though only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Vale is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.\t