Mechanical Technicians - Materials Handling & Shift Maintenance
- Shifts to suit your lifestyle
- Ongoing training and development
- Regional location on the Great Barrier Reef - Gladstone
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
About the role
We are looking for a Mechanical Technicians to join the Yarwun refinery team in Materials Handling and Shift Maintenance areas. These are residential not FIFO roles.
If you are passionate about safety, show initiative and can work unsupervised we have an opportunity for you.
Reporting to one of our Maintenance Team Leaders your work will involve some of the following:
- Maintaining mechanical assets across the refinery, focussed on unplanned breakdown or plant limiting work
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving equipment failures and improving reliability
- Identifying defects and providing feedback on asset performance and health
- Promoting and identifying HSE opportunities to improve equipment, processes, and behaviours
- Identifying and implementing improvement initiatives which will involve working with many different disciplines within the organisation
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- A mechanical fitting trade qualification
- Valid drivers licence
And experience in at least one or more of the following areas:
- Maintaining fixed plant processing equipment such as pumps, mechanical seals, valves, flange management and general fixed plant equipment
- Bearing change outs and alignments
- Maintaining conveyors, caustic pumps and gear boxes
- Working on high pressure steam plant and gas turbine equipment - feedwater pumps, coal mill, high pressure control valves and piping systems.
- Demonstrated experience working with safety systems
It would be an advantage if you have experience in the following:
- Rigging, dogging, EWP and Franna crane licence
- National accredited Working at Heights and Confined Space qualifications.
- SAP experience
What we offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium - the world's first to be certified 'responsible' - helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you'll be working
With production beginning in 2004 at our Yarwun alumina refinery, located approximately 10 kilometres north-west of Gladstone in Central Queensland, today the operation produces more than three million tonnes of alumina per year.
Around 700 people support the operation, with an additional 350 contractors on site each year as part of scheduled maintenance shutdown activities. Thanks to its 'Industry 4.0' focus, Yarwun is also a leader in trialling new technologies to improve operations on site, including 3D printing, robotics and drones in confined spaces, and is home to Rio Tinto's innovative Queensland Research and Development Centre (QRDC).
Along with Boyne Smelters Limited and Queensland Alumina Limited, our Yarwun Operation supports the local community in a wide range of initiatives through Here for Gladstone.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.