Closing Date: August 13, 2022
Teck has been named as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers by Mediacorp Canada’s Top Employers for the past five years and was included in the Forbes World’s Best Employers 2021 list, Canada's Top Employers for Young People 2021 and 2022 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index. In 2021, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the 12th consecutive year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies. Our team is focused on fostering a workplace where everyone is included, valued and equipped for the future.
The Senior Internal Auditor is part of the Assurance & Advisory (A&A) team that helps Teck create sustainable value through governance, risk, compliance, and advisory services. Our team’s vision is to be recognized internal trusted advisors while protecting and delivering value through our leading-edge delivery and coordination of risk-focused independent and objective assurance. The primary responsibility of the Senior Internal Auditor is to plan and conduct specific risk-related assurance and advisory projects of Teck Resources’ operations, development projects, and corporate functions around the world. The position reports to the Manager, Assurance & Advisory.
The candidate will assist with the execution of Assurance & Advisory’s Annual Audit Plan and Strategic Initiatives. A “day in the life” of the Senior Internal Auditor will include delivering exciting projects and initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Being a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Participating in planning and generation of work products to support completion of Operational, Compliance, and Strategic audit and advisory engagements pertaining to Mining Operations and supporting functions such as Finance, IT, Legal, Sustainability and HR
- Leading or supporting the design and implementation of strategic initiatives that help A&A deliver its services with focus, rigour and impact, such as enhancing data analytics capabilities in the team
- Delivering and as assigned, leading internal audits, advisory engagements, special projects and engagements as per the directives of management, the Audit Committee, or at the request of the VP, Director and Managers of Assurance & Advisory in accordance with the approved plan, department standards and the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
- Delivering and as assigned, leading all aspects of internal audits, Advisory engagements, and strategic reviews including planning, risk assessments, developing work programs and procedures, executing fieldwork, and preparing reports.
- Completing assurance/advisory assignments either independently or as part of a team and meeting schedules. Expected to prepare time and expense budgets, monitor progress, and lead A&A teams and monitor consultants/ staff, including the coordination of work.
- Document, communicate and present observations and issues related to engagements with stakeholders at various levels within the organization
- Assisting management with the identification and assessment of risks and controls, or process improvements to achieve organizational objectives
- Developing recommendations that will strengthen the Company's overall systems of internal control and assist in improving the efficiency, effectiveness and profitability of the Company and achieving the objectives
- Following up with management to ensure agreed management actions have been properly implemented.
- Assisting Manager, Assurance & Advisory with ad-hoc audits and investigation duties, and leading strategic continuous improvement initiatives as required and as assigned.
Responsibilities (cont.) Education/Vocational Training
Post-secondary education in risk management, engineering, sustainability, finance, business, or information technology or equivalent experience.
Professional designation such as CPA, CISA, CIA, is desirable, but not required.Environmental & Physical Demands
Ability to work independently, be self-motivated and be prepared to travel to remote locations.
May be required to work at high altitude (requires an Altitude Test) and must have a valid driver's license.Professional benefits of working at Teck Resources Ltd:
Teck’s purpose and values guide every decision we make as individuals, as a team and as an organization. Our values describe how we operate (we are focused on Health & Safety, Sustainability, and Excellence) and who we are: responsible, courageous, respectful, inclusive, humble and driven.
The opportunity to work on exciting and varied projects, at the Vancouver Head Office and globally, alongside a team of professionals who are specialists in their respective fields
Competitive salary offered as well as assistance with dues/fees for designationsLifestyle
At Teck, we have a variety of flexible schedules that can offer you a work life balance. Our current hybrid working model consists of three days (Tuesday and Thursday fixed, with flexibility on the third day) in office and two remote. The standard work week hours are 37.5hrs, however, from time to time there may longer work hours or weeks in peak reporting periods.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Audit work may include travel to the Company's operating sites and administration offices in Canada, the U.S., and potentially in Chile and Peru as required. Expected travel ranges from 15% to 35%. Some locations are camp sites, of which two in South America are at high altitude.
- Service Excellence: Demonstrated drive towards service excellence for both departmental and internal clients. Build effective relationships to understand different stakeholder’s needs and objectives, to ensure A&A services consistently meet or exceed expectations.
- Curiosity & Critical Thinking: Natural curiosity to learn and understand how things work and demonstrated ability to leverage innovative approaches to evaluating, deconstructing business issues, thinking critically to creatively solve problems in an ever-changing environment is a must. Can manage ambiguity and able to synthesize complex information, clarify uncertainties and systematically process them to incorporate into deliverables.
- Open and articulate communicator: Demonstrated ability of active listening and recognizes the value and is respectful and inclusive of diverse perspectives and can deliver key messages as intended, both orally and in writing in English a must. Agility and flexibility in style to meet the needs of the audience. Proficiency in Spanish is an asset.
- Learning Agility & Adaptability: Demonstrated openness to change and feedback, and the ability to adjust behaviors in order respond to dynamic environments, information, or situations. Includes being self- aware, resilient in times of change and emotional intelligence.
- Negotiation & Influence: Demonstrated ability to collaborate and influence team members, internal/external stakeholders with various backgrounds and at different levels in the organization to achieve outcomes that align with strategic direction is a must.
- Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for commitments, including demonstrated ability to self-manage and communicate with internal and external stakeholders on progress or delays to commitments to manage expectations, connects with the purpose and values of the organization, and is self-driven.
- Risk Management & Compliance: Strong understanding of ethics, risk management, internal controls and, practical ethical decision making is a must. Experience with risk management, designing, assessing internal controls, Sarbanes Oxley compliance experience is an asset, but not required. Familiarity with internal control frameworks (COSO) and experience in risk management processes is desirable.
- General Business Acumen: Understands and interprets financial and business data to identify key business drivers that influence performance. Leverages this acumen to both identify and drive business-process continuous improvement.
- System fluency: Digital literacy as both a user of technology and knowledge of information technology governance, risk, controls, and best practice considered an asset.
- Data Analytics: Data fluency demonstrated through ability to read, use, explore, analyze, interpret and communicate data to draw insights to influence decision making, including Power BI experience, considered an asset.
- Mining industry experience / or extractive industry experience and related risks is an advantage.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically. Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a personal characteristic protected under applicable human rights legislation may request to be exempt from this requirement. We will do our best to accommodate those who are unable to be vaccinated.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.Company Info
Teck is a diversified resource company, committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.Job Segment:
Sustainability, Coal Mining, Internal Audit, Risk Management, Energy, Mining, Finance