Closing Date: August 21, 2022
Reporting to the Corporate Counsel, the Advisor, Legal’s primary responsibility will be supporting contract review, amendment, negotiation and development functions in connection with Teck’s mineral exploration activities in Canada and other jurisdictions. The Advisor, Legal, will work with internal and external lawyers, land and title specialists, and a diverse group of Teck employees and contractors in Canada, the USA, and Chile to ensure Teck’s contracts effectively define the legal and financial obligations of the parties involved to protect and advance Teck’s interests. The Advisor, Legal, will typically assume the primary role for the Legal department on confidentiality agreements, drills and other service contracts and will be responsible for preparing other contracts and maintaining precedent agreements and clauses. The Advisor, Legal, is also expected to periodically contribute to other legal practice areas including but not limited to commodity sales, human resources and employment and other corporate priorities.
The Advisor, Legal, is expected to apply critical thinking and a continuous improvement mindset to contracting processes and to exert sound professional judgment in accordance with Teck’s values and priorities, including safety, cost-efficiency, sustainability and operational excellence.
This is an eighteen months temporary role.Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures.
- Work closely with Legal, Risk and other Teck teams to support the contract lifecycle, including:
- Edit, draft, review and revise commercial agreements related to exploration and related activities
- Contribute to the development of precedents and forms
- Identify areas of risk and opportunity throughout the contract process
- Provide support on exploration policies, compliance requirements and related subjects as required
- Develop opportunities to improve the exploration contracting process and implement the same through the use of tools, training and templates
- Develop and maintain an understanding of Teck’s business and its key commercial relationships
- Independently negotiate with contractors, consultants, partners and other third parties and their counsel to finalize contracts
- Become conversant in all aspects of the standard contract documents and the specific conditions of each contract to negotiate effectively and efficiently
- Maintain well-organized and complete records of all contract-related matters
- Display leadership and guidance to contract-related colleagues and maintain good working relationships with contractors, consultants, project teams and Teck’s site personnel
- Give and take instructions directly to and from exploration personnel while advising on corporate policies and risk tolerance
- Exercise a high level of accountability and confidentiality with little supervision and a high degree of collaboration in a challenging and dynamic environment
- Other responsibilities related to the effective management of exploration and contracting
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in contract-related roles with responsibilities for review and revision of commercial agreements. Experience in mining, exploration, environmental and indigenous affairs matters is desirable but not essential.
- Excellent knowledge and skills in contract negotiation, administration, development and management are essential. Professional or industry designations in contract administration, paralegal studies, law and business administration or related fields are desirable.
- Proficiency with word processing, graphing and spreadsheets and adaptability with software and technology-based tools.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and the maturity and personality to tactfully deal with all levels of project teams and contractors. Experience in negotiating and articulating supporting rationale and objectives.
- Good critical and conceptual thinking skills.
- Ability to collaborate in cross-functional teams, assume responsibility to support successful outcomes and meet deadlines.
- Efficient and effective responses to requests, identifying opportunities to provide contract guidance and support to different projects, and balancing competing priorities.
- Assertiveness, follow-through, and attention to detail. Proactive and excellent organization skills with the ability to work with varying degrees of supervision and team input.
- Desire to challenge the status quo and implement change.
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a personal characteristic protected under applicable human rights legislation may request to be exempt from this requirement. We will do our best to accommodate those who are unable to be vaccinated.About Teck
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2020, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eleventh straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
#LI-FR1 Job Segment:
Sustainability, Coal Mining, Compliance, Contract Manager, Energy, Mining, Legal