Newmont Suriname was established in 2004 as an entity of Newmont Mining Corporation and is headquartered in Paramaribo, Suriname. Located in South America, Suriname was originally settled as a Dutch colony, is very culturally diverse and enjoys a tropical climate. The Merian Project is located approximately 60 km south of Moengo in a largely undeveloped part of the country with the nearest permanent settlement, Langa Tabiki, approximately 17 km east from the Project site. Strong support from host communities and the government of Suriname strengthen Merian's ability to deliver safe, profitable production with significant upside potential and opportunity for employees, host communities and shareholders.
Responsible for operating management and financial reporting for the departments at Merian including actual, budget and forecast;
Provides business support to the departments at Merian for analytical and budget requirements for Merian;
Provides project accounting support to all area's at Merian.
- Completion of month end procedures and liaison between the departments at Merian and the Accounting team to meet the monthly reporting schedule. This includes analysis, approval and processing of accruals and journals, ensuring accuracy and compliance with SOX controls, accounting policies and US GAAP. Ensure processing department financial information submitted to Region is accurate and approved by Operational Accounting Superintendent;
- Analysis of monthly, quarterly and year to date costs for the departments at Merian;
- Assist in business planning process for the departments at Merian budgeting and forecasting;
- Presentations to the departments at Merian on costs, physicals and drivers during monthly cost meetings;
- Provide advice to the departments at Merian on cost systems and opportunities for improvement by maximizing revenue and reducing/controlling costs;
- Continually improve site financial processes and systems that will result in informed decisions for the departments at Merian;
- Assist in business planning process for the departments at Merian regarding budgeting and forecasting including analysis if historical actual data and working closely with the cost and operation planners; and
- Assist Operational Accounting Superintendent with site management reporting as and when requested.
- Assist in the management and control over the departments at Merian capital expenditure;
- Support investment valuation activities ensuring treatment of capital and operating costs and providing historical data that will assist the business case and investment evaluation model;
- Execute the capital month-end process ensuring recording of assets under US GAAP standards, reviewing capitalization process, advanced projects, asset retirement and transfer matters;
- Maintain the fixed asset register including addition of projects and disposal of assets so that a high quality register of the business assets is available;
- Calculation of Merian depreciation and journal as part of month-end process;
- Ensure that transactions are accurately reflected in the project work breakdown structure; and
- Assist with the preparation of Management reports for actual costs to budgets and forecasts for both owners' costs and the Project management team for the Project AFE.
- Focus on developing leadership skills and mentoring junior accounting staff;
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and process redesign; and
- Work with a continuous improvement mindset.
Training & Experience
- Bachelor/University Degree
- and 4-7 years progressively responsible experience in the processing industry, budgeting, accounting, tax and/or financial management;
- Understanding of the gold processing and processing value chains and processing projects;
- Knowledge of financial reporting, accounting, budgeting, tax and US GAAP;
- Intermediate Excel skills, including creation of custom reports;
- Intermediate SAP skills would be advantageous;
- SAP knowledge would be advantageous;
- Mining, construction, utilities or other heavy industry experience is preferred.
- Works effectively in a cross-organizational and cross-cultural environment;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in order to effectively convey implications of business evaluation and decisions; and
- Upper intermediate English skills required. Dutch and Sranan Tongo skills are helpful but not required.
- Must have ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Word and Excel applications
- Strong PC skills using MS office software
- The position is located at the Paramaribo's head office and may be required to travel to Merian Mine Site, Suriname.
- Position may be required to travel to, and assist other domestic and international sites.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to email@example.com .