Senior Engineer - Studies
- Be a part of World's Leading Mining Organization
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Role based in Salt Lake City, Utah with beautiful scenery, breath-taking mountains, lakes, and 5 National parks.
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Our focus is on finding, mining and processing the Earth's mineral resources in order to maximize value for our shareholders. Everything we do is done with the future firmly in mind, so our employees are rewarded with opportunity, an open and diverse culture and a responsible working environment in which they can go further.
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It's a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it's this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Engineer - Projects that has experience with planning and delivery of studies from initiation to feasibility and execution of projects including management of detailed engineering and construction. This role will focus on sustaining and growth studies for our Metals plants - smelter and refinery.
This role is a great opportunity for someone that is focused on achieving objectives through managing resources, budgets, changes, and risks. Studies and execution work may be related to capital projects, functional or cross-functional projects or business improvement initiatives. Reporting to the Manager - Studies, you will be:
- Maintaining continuous alignment of project scope with business objectives.
- Managing projects through their various study stages and execution.
- Monitoring, managing and reporting all relevant project performance indicators to meet business requirements.
- Demonstrating commitment to HSE Management in a Project environment.
- Managing both internal and external stakeholder approvals to move the project through the various development stages, implementation and handover.
What you'll bring
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- College degree in Engineering; pyro-metallurgy, processing or mechanical engineering preferred.
- Project management certification or advanced project management training.
- 5 to 10 years of progressively responsible experience in study and project management experience in heavy industry.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience with computer system applications, including Word, Excel, MS Project.
- Proven stakeholder management experience
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Broad understanding of program management, project management, project controls, business improvement, contract management, risk management & change management.
- Experience managing projects at a smelter or refinery.
- Knowledge of Project based software tools and systems.
- Understanding of Rio Tinto project governance.
What we offer
We are committed to providing our employees with a generous benefits package. Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking, your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the world progress, we provide:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- Advantageous salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Access to top-tier family-friendly health programs including medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life insurance coverage, and various voluntary benefits.
- Excellent retirement plan including up to 6% defined company contribution; Generous 401k matching program
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program, which allows you to purchase Rio Tinto Company shares.
- Comprehensive leave policies which cover all moments that matter in life: PTO (paid time off), paid holidays, and paid bereavement leave.
- A favorable child-caregiver leave program (Up to 100% salary top-up)
- Discount programs for leisure purposes and access to Virgin Pulse with incentives supporting your wellbeing
- Ongoing Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your family; to help in addressing educational opportunities, addiction treatment, depression, stress, domestic issues, financial management, and legal concerns.
- Our team and industry experts are here to support and work with you to explore your learning potential and career goals
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs." Pioneers."
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress."
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium - the world's first to be certified 'responsible' - helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life."
Where you'll be working
Rio Tinto Kennecott is a fully integrated mining operation located just outside Salt Lake City, Utah, US. Kennecott is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto. For more than 110 years, Kennecott has been mining and processing minerals from the rich orebody of the Bingham Canyon Mine. Kennecott is a strong economic driver and strives to be a valuable community partner through strategic partnerships, charitable giving and sustainable development practices.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Rio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Please visit http://www.uscis.gov/ for more information.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.